Provides: Web browsing
Developer: Maxthon International, Ltd.
Minimum Requirements: OS X v10.6 or higher
Availability: Out Now
A couple of weeks ago I reviewed Maxthon’s Web Browser for iPad, which I rated favorably. Following up on that review, while the iPad vresion of Maxthon is an excellent, solid-performing browser, I’ve since switched back to Puffin Free, which is the fastest iOS browser for what I do with it.
While it’s new to the Mac, the browser is claimed to have more than 100 million Maxthon users on Windows, Android, Kindle Fire, Nook, iPad, and BlackBerry around the world, according to Maxthon, and was and was also #97 in PCWorld’s list of the 100 Best Products of 2011. It has Chrome’s speed and then some.The developers claim Maxthon 3 can download web pages up to 200 percent quicker than Chrome. I haven’t quantified that, but suffice it to say Maxthon 3 doesn’t disappoint in the speed department.
I’ve also found the beta very stable.
Maxthon adds handy features like bookmark synchronization across all your Internet connected devices, a Web news portal home page (with unfortunately, IMHO, seems to focus tabloid-style on the lurid and sensational), a handy navigation button that opens the last closed tab or page, HTML5 friendliness, and a user interface that’s nicer to look at than Chrome’s (or Safari’s) as well, although I don’t dislike the Chrome UI.
“Maxthon for Mac is the first iteration of several offerings for Apple, to be followed by Maxthon for iPhone, which will lead to cross-platform syncing for PC, Android and Apple,” said Jeff Chen, CEO of Maxthon.”With Maxthon for Mac, our users around the globe will no longer have to choose one competing brand of hardware or operating system over another.”
Maxthon for Mac (Beta) includes the following features:
- Out-of-the-box Video Viewing for Macs Flash and other standards are pre-loaded
- Cloud-based, Cross-platform Syncing Syncs bookmarks between your Windows PC, Mac and iPad instantly
- Reader Mode Removes ads and presents multi-page articles in one window
- Private Browsing Mode Provides the ability at the tab level to browse the web without saving any browser history
- Smart Address Bar Combines the URL bar and search bar into one; presents search suggestions and safe sites
- Global Languages More than 40 languages
- Magic Fill Pre-fills usernames and passwords for favorite websites
- Privacy and Security Settings
- Automatic Updates
Maxthon 3 also offers free cloud services that store your bookmarks and notes securely on the web for anytime, anywhere access, and lets you share screen grabs with the built-inSnap feature
The Maxthon Browser for Mac is well worth downloading for a looksee, and you’ll likely want to stick with it longer.
Download Maxthon for Mac