Apple has pushed out a new software update for Apple TV, compatible with the 2nd and 3rd generation of Apple TV models. With this update, Apple TV now gains full support for Shared Photo Streams, as well as the ability to switch between multiple iTunes accounts, re-arrange icons (just like iOS), and send audio from the Apple TV to any third-party Airplay-enabled speakers, including other devices like an AirPort Express.
The full list of Apple TV Software v5.1 features includes:
- Shared Photo Streams – Accept invitations for Shared Photo Streams, browse photos and comments, and receive notifications of new content.
- AirPlay – Send audio content from Apple TV to AirPlay-enabled speakers and devices (including AirPort Express and other Apple TVs). Also includes the ability to require an onscreen code to use AirPlay with your Apple TV.
- iTunes account switching – Save multiple iTunes accounts and switch quickly between them.
- Trailers – Search movie trailers. In the United States, see show times for local theaters.
- Screen savers – New Cascade, Shrinking Tiles, and Sliding Panels screen savers.
- Main menu – Reorder icons on the second page by holding down the select button on the remote.
- Subtitles- SDH support for the deaf and hard-of-hearing as well as improvements to viewing and selecting subtitles.
- Network configuration – Support for setting up advanced network options using configuration profiles. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5437 for more information.
- Stability and performance – Includes general performance and stability improvements.
The new Apple TV update is now available for download, you can easily update your device directly on the unit by going to the Settings menu. Select and click on General, then head down to Update Software.