The Last Express—an adventure game released for PC and Mac in 1997 and revitalized by DotEmu—is now available on the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.
On the eve of World War I, as the Orient Express departs on its final journey from Paris to Constantinople, the player steps into the shoes of Robert Cath, an American doctor with a mysterious past. A fugitive from French police, Robert boards the train after receiving an urgent telegram from his best friend…and plunges into a maelstrom of conspiracy, romance, and murder.
Designed by Jordan Mechner, best known as the creator of Prince of Persia and the martial-arts classic Karateka, The Last Express is an intrigue-filled adventure set aboard the luxurious Orient Express. It’s unusual in that it takes place mostly in real-time with characters moving around the train and changing their actions based on what you do or don’t do. No two playthroughs are exactly alike, which gives The Last Express a high replay value.
“The Last Express was a labor of love for me and the Smoking Car team. We strove to recreate the vanished world of 1914 Europe in a way that would feel authentic and immersive,” said Jordan Mechner. “I’m especially proud of the game’s non-linear, interactive storytelling. I’m excited that a new generation of gamers will have the opportunity to experience it on iOS.”
The Last Express features:
- 20+ hours of game play.
- Interact with 30+ characters who behave like actual people on a train — moving about in real-time and conversing in their native languages.
- Eavesdrop on conversations, sneak into compartments, and uncover clues.
- Explore a richly detailed, historically accurate 3D recreation of the 1914 Orient Express.
- Your actions affect other characters’ behavior, making every play-through different.
- Rewind feature allows you to back up to any point in the story and choose a different course of action.
- Playable in 5 languages: English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.
Exclusive features only for iOS:
- Unlock challenging achievements that test your sleuthing skills.
- Dynamic, 3-tiered hint system created specifically for iOS.
- 20 unlockable character biographies.
- Unlock cinematics to replay at any time.
The Last Express is available on the App Store for $4.99 for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad running iOS 4.3 or later.
Product [The Last Express]