You can be a witch for Halloween. Go ahead. Win a best costume prize, even, if you put enough time into it. But when you get home, put away your Halloween goings on and sit down for some good old-fashioned RPG fun with The Witcher: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition, now available for OS X via GOG.com and Steam.
The Witcher 2 is the second installment of the Witcher series to hit the Mac, developer CD Projekt RED having released The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut earlier this year.
From the press release:
Defining new standards for realistic, non-linear game narration, The Witcher 2 spins a mature, thought-provoking story in one of the most unique RPGs ever released and the greatest title of this genre for Mac computers in years. Each decision made by the player may have dire consequences, and could have a major impact on future events and how the world unfolds. In addition to its epic story, the game features a complex combat system that uniquely combines dynamic action with tactical depth. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition features both beautiful graphics and sophisticated in-game mechanics, drawing players into one of the most lively and believable worlds ever created in a video game. The Witcher 2 presents a unique atmosphere, thanks to the widely praised artistic design and is arguably one of the best-looking games for Mac. This beautiful gaming masterpiece can now be experienced by gamers uncut, in the richest and most plentiful edition ever.
You think that’s some tough talk, wait until you get to the obligatory developer quote:
“It’s time to end the common idea that Mac gaming doesn’t offer a proper experience. The Witcher 2 is one of the best RPGs on this platform and definitely the best looking one,” said Marcin Iwiński from CD Projekt RED
I’m not sure those two sentences really connected, but whatever, we Mac gamers will rally behind you, anyway. The Witcher 2 does look like a pretty fantastic game, after all…
Well, maybe it doesn’t look so good to your parents, but it’s not like the computer’s in the living room, right?
The Enhanced Edition gets you:
- Additional hours of gameplay: New major adventures set in previously unseen locations, expanding the story and introducing new characters, mysteries and monsters.
- New Game Introduction and cinematics: All new animations and cut scenes, including a new, three and a half minute pre-rendered cinematic depicting the assassination of King Demavend of Aedirn.
- BAFTA Award winner and Academy Award nominee Tomasz Baginski brings this key historical event to life, setting the stage for the story told in The Witcher 2.
- All of the up-to-date DLC and improvements introduced in the 2.0 version of the PC game, including:
- Arena Mode – an arcade mode that allows players to fight against endless waves of enemies and test their combat skills. Players can share their results with their friends by uploading high scores to the forums or to Facebook .
- A new, extensive tutorial system – allows gamers to be gradually and smoothly immersed in the game world and Geralt’s adventures.
- Dark Mode – a difficulty level designed for hardcore players, with unique dark-themed items. At this difficulty level, even greater emphasis is placed on battle preparation, defensive maneuvers and opportunistic attacking.
- Official soundtrack in MP3 format.
- World Map – A map of the game’s world.
- Quest Handbook – The Witcher 2 quest handbook for both novice and experienced role-playing fans.
- Game Manual – A rulebook and interface explanation to help you get started.
The Witcher 2 for Mac requires OS X v10.6.8 or later, an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB RAM, an nVidia GeForce 320M, AMD Radeon HD 6750M or Intel HD Graphics 3000 or better, and 10.5GB free space on HDD. The game is rated M for blood and gore, intense violence, nudity, strong language, strong sexual content, and use of drugs…but you’re only interested in the tactically-deep real-time combat, right?
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition for Mac is available now for $29.99. For more information, visit store.steampowered.com.