Good news for people who love charts shaped like funny animals or simply want the experience of opening a hotel door in their own home: USA Today has released an updated iPad app! The app incorporates “consumer research on how tablets are used for news consumption,” formerly known as “reading!”
The free app has many new features, including:
- Users will see a quick-scan text view of the day’s stories in the morning and a lean-back image-focused view in the evening. Users can choose their view based on their own reading habits.
- A new customizable quick information panel lets users select the critical data and information they want to see. Users can choose from the latest sports scores, weather alerts, stocks, games, travel information and more.
- A richer content experience will give users the full picture on every story with more videos, photos, and audio.
- Users can quickly share news on their social platforms with the push of a button.
- “Airplane” mode gives users an offline reading option so they can view USA TODAY’s full content anywhere, anytime. Users can stay connected, even when their iPad isn’t.
- A saved article function lets users save articles they’d like to read so they can view or share them later.
And since the app is free, that means it’s ad-supported:
“For marketers, the new design will provide a premium advertising environment. The app allows a better way for advertisers to deliver the right message to the right user at the right time. The app along with USA TODAY’s reimagined website and newspaper deliver true cross-platform solutions for marketers.”
USA Today for iPad is available in the App Store. It requires an iPad running iOS 4.3 or later.