Twitter has updated its iOS and Android apps to version 5.3, introducing better search functionality and performance improvements for both the iPhone and iPad apps. Specifically, the first time you fire up the app after updating you will immediately see a more prominent search button at the top. Twitter also promised the search feature will now return more relevant search results covering Twitter users, pictures and tweets posted on Twitter.
The Twitter iOS app was also optimized to perform faster and with greater stability. This is especially true for those with older iOS devices. Inline links also now launch faster and quicker than before.
The full list of new features follows:
- Discover delivers a single stream of Tweets, Trends, Activity and accounts to follow. Pull to refresh or keep scrolling to see more content.
- Search now shows the most relevant mix of people, Tweets and photos.
- It’s also easier to use search with one button at the top of the app.
- You can see your five most recent searches and tap them to redo the search, or you can clear your recent search history.
- Links instantly open web pages when you tap URLs in your stream.
- Performance improvements make launch times faster, especially for older iOS devices.
- Connect shows interactions like new followers, retweets and mentions by default. You can switch to “view mentions only” in settings.
- Improved right-to-left language support for Arabic and Hebrew.
- Bug fixes and other improvements.
Twitter for iOS app is available now as a free download from the iTunes App Store.