This week on the Free Apps Roundup: It’s game day. What I mean by that is your iOS device is about to get a plethora of new games. There’s Geared and Geared 2—two unique, challenging and fu gear-based physics puzzle games. Then there’s Beastie Bay, which is a bit like Pokemon. Then there’s the final frontier—battle in space in Galaxy on Fire 2 HD. And the list goes on. But don’t wait too long, as many of these are free for a limited time. Let the downloading begin!
The Top Three:
- Geared 2 – The goal of this puzzle game is always the same: power the blue gears. Accomplishing that is another matter. This is the sequel to the original gear-based puzzle game, which is also free for a very limited time. In this version, there are over 500 levels, a level editor and new gears!
- Beastie Bay – Blaze trails into unknown territory and then make it your own. Plant crops, build housing and power sources, and transform the island into your own personal paradise. The idea is that you build up, develop new technology and travel to unexplored islands nearby. In order to do this, you’ll have to capture some of the local creatures and train them to fight for you, like Pokemon. Survival of the fittest was never so fun.
- Galaxy on Fire 2 HD – Get this premium-quality 3D space combat and trading simulation with adventure and RPG elements game for free for the next few days. Why? It’s Apple’s App of the Week. You’ll take the role of the hot-headed space war veteran Keith T. Maxwell and, what else, save the galaxy from impeding destruction. The galaxy is vast with over 20 star system and over 100 planets and space stations. There are tons of features and gameplay. Plus, the HD doesn’t imply that it won’t work on your iPhone; it will.
Free for a limited time:
- Scriv – Take notes in this app with a built in web browser. It’s both a simple and intuitive word processing app packed with tons of great features.
- Sakura Quick Math – What could be more fun than practicing your mathematics while racing the clock in this iPad app? Nothing!
- CarTunes Music Player – Control your music with swipes, taps, and pinches in an app designed entirely for touch.
- goodEar Scales – Can you identify a frequency just by hearing it? Prove it with this game. Even if you aren’t so great at it yet, this game can help train your ears.
- Akane the Kunoichi – The critically acclaimed arcade game is now in your hands. You are a ninja secretly in love with her master Goro. Goro has been kidnapped. You must rescue him in this ninja platformer. Added bonus, this game supports iCade.
- Pocket BMX – It’s a free-raoming 2D bike-riding game packed full of challenges that will see you pulling all kinds of air tricks and grinds with combos that will blow your mind.
- Line Runner 2 – The long awaited sequel that’s packed with amazing new boost items, spectacular crashes, beautiful themes, cool characters, and new tricky obstacles.
- Time of Heroes – Here’s a 3D turn based strategy game that is sure to keep you challenged.
- Stick to it! – Reunite Spike and his mommy by sticking, rolling and flinging him through 80 physics-based puzzles.
- King of Opera – Fight for fame at the opera by controlling a wildly spinning tenor. Knock the other tenors off the stage, but avoid the bull tenor and become the King of Opera.
- WarCom: Genesis – The world’s resources are running out and thus throwing the world into chaos. WarCorps has an elite covert action team used only for the most dangerous missions and you’re the newest member. You’ll be tackling over 60 story missions in this immersive 3D game.
- Megamassive – Find your way back to the black hole using only physics. Sounds stupid easy, right? Maybe, maybe not.
- Geared – This is a radically new and innovative puzzle game. It’s all based on gears with no snap-grid, meaning there’s an infinite array of choices for solving puzzles. There are varying levels of difficulty for over 200 levels. Plus, you might even learn a thing or two about physics, and that’s always good.