Seen @ Macworld is Appletell’s column highlighting our experiences at the recent Macworld/iWorld Expo. Appletell stopped by several booths that featured interesting products; some were longtime pillars of Macworld with updates to established products, many were new companies showing innovative and exciting product for the first time, and a few featured accessories, apps, and products we didn’t even know we needed before we hit the Moscone West show floor. Here we feature buzz from the show floor and details of our conversations with the makers, inventors, and companies whose products were on display. Be sure to check out our coverage of other exhibitors from Macworld/iWorld 2013.
Trident Cases had a booth tucked in one of the farthest corners of the Moscone show floor, but it was definitely worth a small trek to reach it. On display were samples of the company’s entire lineup of cases, ranging from light and stylish protection to hardcore device trauma prevention. Each series features interchangeable parts that let you create custom color combinations and tailor the level of protection to suit your needs. Some cases also feature an integrated accessory mount, which is accompanied by several options including bike, windshield, and tripod mounts.
Named after characters from Greek and Norse mythology, Trident’s case lineup spans from light, simple protection to heavy duty screen, corner, and splash protection. Each case is available in a multitude of mix-and-match colors, so you can get a black frame with an orange backplate, white front frame with purple polycarbonate insert, or whatever other combination you desire—and the price is the same no matter what color combos you choose.
A full comparison of the various case lines is available here, but the important details on each case are:
- Apollo: The lightweight of the series, the Apollo case is a simple snap-on affair that provides scratch protection and shields your iPhone from minor dust/debris.
- Perseus/Perseus AMS: The Perseus features a soft silicone exterior with a screen protector, providing protection from bumps, scratches, and small drops. The AMS variant of the Perseus can be upgraded with a polycarbonate exoskeleton to form the Kraken, Trident’s most extreme protective case.
- Aegis: Billed as sleek armor, the Aegis features an inner layer of silicone with a hardened polycarbonate shell, providing protection with a sleeker form factor.
- Electra: Appropriately named, the Electra case features a built-in battery to extend your iPhone’s battery, with soft silicone and a rigid polycarbonate shell for enhanced protection.
- Cyclops: The Cyclops is an inverted Aegis, featuring a polycarbonate inner skeleton and a soft silicone outer shell. A step below the Kraken, it offers built in screen protector but lacks the interchangeable accessory mounting options.
- Kraken: The ultimate protective option from Trident, the Kraken is designed as a modular composition of the Perseus case (for silicone impact protection) with a polycarbonate exoskeleton and an accessory mount. Featuring a detachable stand/holster mount and an integrated screen protector, this is the most heavy duty protective case and the most expandable in terms of interchangeable accessories.
She Comes in Colors
All the Trident’s cases are available in a veritable rainbow of colors, so you can mix, match, and customize to your heart’s content.
If green is your thing, the company has also integrated a bio-enhanced plastic which is made in the U.S. This plastic allows the cases to biodegrade within 25 years into carbon dioxide, water, and methane. These cases will have a much shorter landfill impact than their counterparts without biodegradable materials, which typically take 500 to 1,000 years to break down.
Be sure to check out our coverage of other exhibitors from Macworld / iWorld 2013.