This week on the Free Apps Roundup: There’s this one app that you, well, gotta see. It’s kind of like taking a panorama, but it also isn’t. It takes a bunch of pictures, and you can share them, but there’s no stitching involved. Instead, you get images arranged in a 3D space. It’s a different experience. Maybe you want to play some pinball in fantastically realistic 3D. Or maybe you just want to check out what’s free for a limited time. That’s cool too.
The Top Three Free Apps:
- QuickButton – Ever wish you could tap a single button and call your spouse? Or maybe compose an email or SMS to a specific contact? This app creates icons for your home screen that do just that. But it’s only free for a limited time.
- Zen Pinball – From the creators of basically every other pinball game worth playing comes Zen Pinball. This game has fully interactive 3D models with the most advanced ball physics and the coolest tables to play. It comes with one beautiful free table—Sorcerer’s Lair—and you can add tons more via in app purchases. Among those tables are the new Star Wars themed tables, Marvel tables and many more.
- You Gotta See This! – Panoramas are cool, but spacial collages of images might be cooler. Instead of stitching together many images, this app just takes a whole bunch of pictures and arranges and orients them in a 3D space. The effect is supposed to give you a feel for the atmosphere of the location. Share more than an image, share an experience. And for a limited time, you don’t gotta pay for it.
Free Apps for a Limited Time:
- FineReader Touch – This app not only takes pictures of physical documents and converts them to digital ones, it claims it can do OCR on the document and turn it into text in various types of electronic document formats.
- Dr. Seuss Camera – The Cat in the Hat Edition – Create zany and whimsical Cat in the Hat cards by taking pictures with your camera and Seussizing them. You can become one of the Things, Sally, her brother, or even the Cat in the Hat himself. There are 16 cards to base your design on.
- NFL Quarterback 13 – You are the quarterback. You call the plays, choose who to pass to, and throw. Can you handle the pressure? The controls are easy, but you have to be precise.
- The Colbert Report’s The Word – Get every word from Colbert right at your fingertips, by date or alphabetically. There’s even a “Surprise me!” feature that’ll do the picking for you.
- The Colbert Report’s The Word for iPad – The same for iPad.
- Star Rover – Want to know more about the night sky? This app is one of many that can tell you more about what you see in real time, and even about what you can’t see. It’s a planetarium in your pocket.
- Star Rover HD – The same for iPad.
- Super Stickman Golf – It’s like Angry Birds, except there are no birds, or pigs, or anything to knock down. Actually, it’s 2D golf, but honestly, it’s kinda similar, even if the biggest similarity is just that they are both fun.
- Mini Jailbreaker – Run and jump for your life in this endless runner where you are a cell-shaded inmate who must escape. Every moment is more intense than the last.
- iBomber Attack – Jump into your tank and get ready to blast your way around Europe and defeat the enemy. You’ll be destroying Navel dockyards, airfields and secret bases. Think it’s just about the bombs? Nope, you’ll also get to use Bunker Busters, Mini-Guns, Flame Throwers, Rockets, and more.
- Magnetic Gems HD – Combine shiny crystals of the same color into chains of three or more. But it’s the magnetic effects that sets this game apart, plus the numerous game modes including: Arcade, Endless and Championship. There are 9 packs and 135 different levels to keep you entertained.