Shattered Haven from Arcen Games is a 2D action adventure horror game with environmental puzzles in a post-apocalyptic world overrun by Grays—an unusual and powerful type of living dead. Make your way through branching story paths as you look for your family who were forced to flee after your home was attacked.
Grays roam the land, largely in the absence of human interference. These aren’t your typical Zed—theirs is a very different sort of apocalypse. Animals spontaneously transform into twisted, violent beings. The earth decays, collapsing into a network of abysses. The wilderness thickens.
It has been nine years since That Day when it all started. Pockets of humanity still exist, but are ignorant of one another. Within these isolated havens people try to live as best they can — for even in a world so broken and dark, daily life must go on.
Darrell and Mary Williams were able to build such a life inside a five-acre fenced yard out in the country. They were even secure enough in their isolated compound that they had a daughter five years after the zombie-like grays appeared.
Life carried on as normally as it could, until another refugee on the run is killed during a nearby attack. Her son is saved and taken in by the Williams — who do not realize that this kind action will destroy their home and threaten their entire family. They find themselves caught in the midst of a struggle between two eldritch horrors, and the path to survival is anything but clear.
Arcen Games founder Chris Parks has a development blog article with more details of what Shattered Haven is and what your goals are.
Shattered Haven features:
- Nearly 100 hand-crafted levels with multiple difficulty levels ranging between casual and hardcore, developed end to end by two experienced adventure level designers.
- Complete bonus objectives for higher scores and gold markers.
- Follow the story of Darrell and Mary through in-game storytelling and painted-style cutscenes.
- Guide different members of the Williams family through branching story paths that result in one of several endings. Depending on your actions, the story may end very poorly, happily, or anywhere in between.
- Music and sound by composer Pablo Vega provides a chilling atmosphere for players to experience.
- Included level editor: The same editor used to make the main adventure will let you make your own levels, cutscenes, or even entire adventures.
- Local 2-player co-op. Using two gamepads, two players on the keyboard, or any combination of the above.
Shattered Haven is available for PC and Mac on Steam, GOG, GamersGate, and Green Man Gaming as well as directly through the Arcen Store. To celebrate the release Shattered Haven is on sale for $7.49, 25% off the regular price of $9.99 through Friday, March 29th.