This week, Feral Interactive announced Tropico 4, which took me all the way back to 2003 and the original Tropico. Rockstar games is taking us back even further with the release of Max Payne 3; the original Max Payne hit the Mac in 2002. A lot has changed since then, including system demands. Max Payne 3 requires a lot, and GameAgent is here to let you know if your Mac’s up to snuff.
GameAgent tells it like this (with some added commas by me):
Max Payne 3 features the titular (anti-)hero, washed up and still reeling from past tragedies that took his loved ones away from him. Max has moved to Brazil where he takes on the role of bodyguard for the family of a wealthy real estate mogul. Of course, things go awry, stuff blows up, and Max has to jump through the air and shoot lots of bullets to save the family he’s supposed to protect, as well as himself.
The game has earned high marks on the PC from a wide variety of review outlets, averaging an 87 on Metacritic, and so is a welcome to addition to the Mac. That said, it also features pretty high system requirements which might preclude some Mac gamers from even getting to the title screen.
And that’s where GameAgent comes in. They have a service called Mac Match which, with a simple installation, takes a look at your hardware and lets you know if it can handle the system requirements of any game supported by the service. Visit the game’s profile at GameAgent (right here if you’re curious about Max Payne 3), click the button, and hope for the best.
If that seems like too much work, we offer you this:
- Operating System: OS X 10.7.5
- Processor: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
- Numbers of cores: 2
- Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
- Memory: 4 GB
- Hard Disk Space: 40 GB
- Video Card: NVIDIA 8800GT or AMD Radeon HD 4870 with 512 MB of Video Memory
Good so far? Then you’ll get these features from Max Payne 3:
- A dark, twisted story chronicling the return of Max Payne, one of the most iconic characters in videogames (despite the failed attempt on the big screen).
- A seamless, highly detailed, cinematic experience.
- Advanced Bullet Time® and Shootdodge™ and Final Kill-cam mechanics for stylish shooting action.
- Cutting edge aiming, targeting and animation processes for precise, fluid gunplay.
- Tight integration between Natural Motion’s Euphoria Character Behavior System and a brand new iteration of the Rockstar Advanced Game Engine (RAGE) for lifelike movement and a new level of environmental awareness.
- A wide range of weapons rendered in incredible detail: hammers cock back, shells eject from the chamber and each bullet is individually modeled from the split second it’s fired to the moment of impact.
- Advanced particle physics and destructible environments set the stage for dramatic and chaotic gun fights.
- New to the series, a compelling and addictive multiplayer experience to match the dark and relentless atmosphere of the single-player game.
For more information the game, get your age verification on and visit www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne3.
Max Payne 3 is available now in the Mac App Store for $39.99.