When you meet with Majesco Entertainment at E3, you don’t expect to talk about iOS and Android apps. But that’s just what we did when they demoed Zumba Dance for the iPad. The app, developed in conjunction with Zumba Fitness, is now available for iOS and Android, marking the first time the dance-fitness brand is available in an interactive, motion-based format.
At my demo, I didn’t have to do any dancing myself, thankfully; that would’ve been pleasant for neither me nor for anyone watching. Rather Majesco brought in a professional to show off the app’s ability to track your moves and record your performance. Zumba Dance offers an energizing, total-body workout with easy-to-follow routines set to hits from popular artists I’ve never heard of, but that are likely good for getting a solid dance workout.
The app is not entirely a substitute for a live Zumba class, but can be used to supplement it or to familiarize yourself with the steps. The app uses motion-tracking (which you can observe in a corner of the iPad display) to analyzes players’ movements, providing positive reinforcement and an effective interactive exercise session.
During my demo, the iPad was placed at about the height of a coffee table, and the dancer stood back maybe around six feet. The app never once lost the tracking, and displayed a full array of statistics when she finished.
Key features of Zumba Dance include:
- Global dance styles – Players can move to popular cultural dance styles from around the world, including Merengue, Salsa, Cumbia, Bollywood, Hip-Hop, Reggaeton and more
- Progress tracking – Players can stay motivated with the Zumba Dance Progress Tracker that tracks workout statistics including calories burned, achievements earned, overall rank and technique score
- Customization – Zumba Dance lets players create classes ranging from 20 to 60 minutes based on their calorie burning and fitness goals. Players can also customize their own workout by creating a playlist of favorite routines and songs that best suit their busy lifestyle
- Accessibility – Zumba Dance offers a tutorial mode to help newcomers learn the basic steps of four dance styles at their own pace
- Live Class Locator – Zumba Dance can also help players find a live class in their area so they can join the fitness-party live with friends
Zumba Dance is available for iPad on the App Store and for Android tablets on Google Play. It’ll set you back $4.99, with additional “classes” coming in at $9.99 each. You can also buy the full game pack of three classes for $24.99. For more information, visit www.zumbafitnessgame.com.