It’s been an unexpected red letter day for Mac gaming. Earlier, Feral Interactive announced Lord of the Rings: War of the North will hit the Macintosh on August 29th. And now, the equally fine folks at Aspyr have announced the Mac version of Bioshock Infinite will be release on…wait for it…August 29th. Why, it’s almost enough to make you forget that’s also International Day Against Nuclear Tests!
Bioshock Infinite—the third game in the Bioshock series—takes us out of the undersea depths of Rapture and up to the flying city of Columbia.
Indebted to the wrong people, with his life on the line, veteran of the U.S. Cavalry and now hired gun, Booker DeWitt has only one opportunity to wipe his slate clean. He must rescue Elizabeth, a mysterious girl imprisoned since childhood and locked up in the flying city of Columbia. Forced to trust one another, Booker and Elizabeth form a powerful bond during their daring escape. Together, they learn to harness an expanding arsenal of weapons and abilities, as they fight on zeppelins in the clouds, along high-speed Sky-Lines, and down in the streets of Columbia, all while surviving the threats of the air-city and uncovering its dark secret.
I wonder if my town has a dark secret I can discover. I mean, there has to be a reason why our high school football team is always so good.
Anyway, Bioshock Infinite for Mac allows you to do these things:
- Whip, Zip, and Kill – Turn the city’s Sky-Lines into weaponized roller coasters as you zip through the flying city and dish out fatal hands-on punishment.
- Tear Through Time – Open Tears in time and space to shape the battlefield and turn the tide in combat by pulling weapons, turrets, and other resources out of thin air.
- Vigorous Powers – Throw explosive fireballs, shoot lightning, and release murders of crows as devastatingly powerful Vigors surge through your body to be unleashed against all that oppose you.
- Custom Combat Experience – With deadly weapons in one hand, powerful Vigors in the other, and the ability to open Tears in time and space, fight your own way through the floating city of Columbia to rescue Elizabeth and reach freedom.
- 1999 Mode – Upon finishing BioShock Infinite, the player can unlock a game mode called “1999 Mode” that gives experienced players a taste of the kind of design and balance that hardcore gamers enjoyed back in the 20th century.
BioShock Infinite is available now for preorder, and you’ll likely want to do so; GameAgent preorders get you free access to the Columbia’s Finest DLC Pack, which includes:
- 500 Silver Eagles (in-game currency)
- 5 Lock Picks to help you navigate through Columbia
- 6 unique Gear items
- 2 weapon upgrades: Comstock’s China Broom Shotgun and Comstock’s Eagle Eye Sniper Rifle
In addition, Aspyr is currently working on the Clash in the Clouds DLC, with the hope of having it ready “on or very close to launch day.”
BioShock Infinite will set you back $59.99, unless you’re a GameAgent member, in which case you get 20% off.
For more information, including system specs and additional screenshots, visit aspyr.com.