Everybody wants to rule the world, but sometimes all you can manage is a small island republic. Tropico 5—the latest game of the series in which you are the absolute ruler (benevolent or despotic) of a banana republic management—has just been announced by Kalypso, along with a teaser trailer that
rips off pays homage to Chaplin’s The Great Dictator.
In Tropico, your goal is to keep the peasants happy (or surpress their rebellion) while building up the island and also lining your own pocket for the invetiable moment when you have to flee the country. Whether you go for Yanqui tourist dollars or self-sufficiency by your own resources, you’ll have challenges aplenty.
Features of Tropic 5 include:
- The Eras – From the 19th century to the 21st, each era carries its own challenges and opportunities. Begin your reign during colonial times and advance your nation through the modern era and into the future!
- The Dynasty – Each member of El Presidente’s extended family is present on the island and may be appointed to key leadership positions, earning skills and experience in their assigned roles.
- Research and Renovate – Advance your nation by discovering new buildings, technologies and resources. Transform your old buildings into modernized, hyper-efficient designs worthy of an economic superpower!
- Advanced trade system and trade fleet – Amass a global trade fleet and use your ships to secure import/export trade routes to neighbouring islands and key nations.
- Explore your island – Discover what lies beyond the fog of war. Send prospectors to look for new mineral and ore deposits, but be wary of hostile animals and native tribes.
- All new art – All artwork is reworked to provide Tropico 5 with a distinct historic visual identity. Choose from over 100 unique buildings from each of the individual eras.
- Cooperative and competitive multiplayer – Up to four players can build up their own cities and economies on any given island map. Players can share resources and citizens, or declare war on each other.