Apple’s iWatch is still a mystery. We haven’t seen many leaks related to Apple’s wearable device, but rumors do suggest it’s in the pipeline. A new poll conducted by Piper Jaffray suggests an Apple iWatch could be huge seller for the company in the first year.
Piper Jaffray conducted the survey of 799 U.S. consumers, and the results showed a penetration rate between 2 and 4% among iPhone owners. Currently, there are almost 293 million iPhone owners, which means Apple could sell as many as 10 million units of the purported iWatch in the first year. The survey also asked the respondents whether they would purchase the watch if it came with a $350 price tag; 12% of those said yes, while the remaining 88% said they will not.
Analyst Gene Munster said, “While we do not view the watch as a likely needle-mover for Apple in terms of revenue in 2014, we put it in a similar category as the television in that it could demonstrate Apple’s ability to innovate (good for the multiple) and potentially lead to a more meaningful new product category in wearable tech.”
Rumors suggest Apple will unveil its iWatch sometime in 2014. The company has hired two Nike+ Fuelband developers to work on the alleged smartwatch, and it’s rumored Apple also filed patents detailing technology for a flexible battery, which might suggest the Apple iWatch is in works.