Want to get into the Halloween spirit by playing games on your Mac, iPhone, or iPad? Good Halloween games have to do with more than just vampires or zombies, and definitely should be fun to play. Appletell has scoured the Internet for the best Halloween games you can play with your favorite trick or treaters, or by yourself in the dark for a fright.
Halloween Games for OS X
- Costume Quest ($14.99 with Grubbins on Ice DLC) — You’re out trick-or-treating with your twin until you stumble onto a monster invasion. Explore your neighborhood and collect costumes so you can fight and rescue your twin. The costumes let you turn into that character and gain powers so you can defeat monsters and put an end to their nefarious schemes. JayIsGames says Costume Quest is fun for both young and old gamers.
- Halloween (Free) — Picking up a last-minute babysitting job sounded like a great way to earn some extra money, until the prank calls start and then all of the lights in the house go out. Explore the house and find weapons to defend yourself in this homage to the great 70s horror films.
- Knock-knock ($9.99) — You live in a house in the middle of nowhere and your nights are filled with nightmares and sleepwalking. Your initial goal is to stay alive until dawn, but time doesn’t go forward until you find clocks to start, which means you need to explore your ever-changing house. Then the front door bangs open and you realize you’re not alone anymore. It’s a horror game unlike any you’ve probably ever played.
- Mad Father (Free) — Aya Drevis is a little girl with a loving father, which would normally be heartwarming, except for him being a mad scientist. Now you’re being chased by the spirits of those he may have killed and who will kill you if you’re not careful. Explore the many rooms of your mansion as you rescue your father and find out what really happened when your mother died. Check out the other horror games on the page for more thrills.
Halloween Games for iOS
- Costume Quest ($4.99 with in-app purchases) — You’re out trick-or-treating with your twin until you stumble onto a monster invasion. Explore your neighborhood and collect costumes so you can fight and rescue your twin. The costumes let you turn into that character and gain powers so you can defeat monsters and put an end to their nefarious schemes. JayIsGames says Costume Quest is fun for both young and old gamers.
- Hysteria Project 2 HD iPhone / iPad ($2.99) — You wake up alone and confused tied up to a hospital bed with a mystery tattoo on your arm that you don’t remember getting. You need to figure out what happened and escape which will require all of your wits and nerves.
- Silent Hill – The Escape ($0.99) — Find the exit with only a dull, flickering flashlight as your source of light and a limited amount of ammunition. Silent Hill is an older game with graphics to match, but the years haven’t dulled the fear you’ll feel in this classic horror game.
- Eyes ($0.99) — Think Slender with the ability to look through the eyes of the ghost who’s following you as you search an old abandoned house for any valuables you can find.
- The Nightjar ($4.99) — Experience horror that you can only hear. You’re trapped on a spaceship spiraling towards a black hole, and then your crew abandons you. You’ll have to listen intently to know where to go, and where not to go.
Halloween Games for Web Browsers
- The Last Door (Free, but the current chapter is unlocked with a donation) — An old friend invites you visit to his estate, and you come to learn he has changed in the past few years. As you explore the house, you come across more than a few skeletons in his, and your, closets. It’s a point-and-click adventure with more of a psychological horror theme.
- Eyes (Free) — Think Slender, with the ability to look through the eyes of the ghost who’s following you as you search an old abandoned house for any valuables you can find.
- Traumata (Free) — Adam is given a job to take pictures inside a 13 story building. Nothing out of the ordinary, until some of the pictures start looking familiar, and soon he starts learning about the mysterious death of his parents. A point and click adventure with some light horror and light puzzles for an overall enjoyable trip down memory lane.