You may not be familiar with server-grade Plextor SSD technology, but no matter. What matters is that it’s part of Elgato’s new Thunderbolt Drive+, and helps it to outperform other external drives despite also focusing on portability. Also compatible with USB 3.0, the Elgato Thunderbolt Drive+ is available immediately for $499.95 (256 GB) and $899.95 (512 GB).
The Thunderbolt Drive+ utilizes a Solid State Drive (SSD) to store data at transfer speeds of up to 420 MB/s. The Plextor True Speed technology and server-grade controller chips sustain the high performance, while flash chips and custom firmware provide the lowest average annualized failure rate (AFR) in the industry.
Elgato Thunderbolt Drive+ is engineered to draw power directly from a single Thunderbolt or USB port. This way, users can always access their data, even when they’re not near a power source. The backward compatible USB 3.0 port ensures that Thunderbolt Drive+ works with virtually any Mac or PC.
Due to its metal enclosure and lack of moving, mechanical parts, Thunderbolt Drive+ is far less prone to accidental damage than traditional external drives. No dust particle can reach the inside, and even splashes of liquid won’t damage your files.
At a glance, the Elgato Thunderbolt Drive+:
- Unites the most advanced storage technology in a revolutionary high-speed solution. With a server-grade Plextor Solid State Drive, a dust and water protected metal enclosure and Thunderbolt and USB connectivity, it’s the perfect storage solution when you’re on the go.
- Offers Thunderbolt™ and USB 3.0 (USB 2.0 compatible) interfaces. Does not require a separate power supply.
- Comes with 256 GB and 512 GB capacities.
- Offers transfer speeds up to 420 MB/s.
- Offers dust and water protection (IP64 certified).
- Comes with the drive, an Elgato Thunderbolt cable, a USB 3.0 cable, a protective port cover, and a user guide.
The Thunderbolt Drive+ requires a Mac running OS X 10.6.8 or later and a Thunderbolt, USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 port, or a PC with Windows 7 or later and a Thunderbolt, USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 port (the Elgato Thunderbolt Drive+ is preformatted as a HFS+ Mac drive and can be easily reformatted for use with Windows PCs).