The processing power in the Apple’s iPhone 5s will finally be put to use via Fitbit. The popular wearable activity tracking device has added a new feature called MobileTrack as well as support for the iPhone’s M7 motion coprocessor. The M7 coprocessor uses information from a number of different parts of the iPhone—such as the accelerometer and gyroscope—to help track user movements and decipher whether they are running, walking, or driving.
The iPhone does all of this without eating up too much battery, which makes it perfect for fitness applications such as this one, as well as the Nike+ Move application, which also takes advantage of the M7 coprocessor. Fitbit’s MobileTrack can use the information that is fed by the iPhone to determine how many steps users take, how far they have traveled, and how many total calories they have burned. This is impressive, especially when considering that a lot of other smartphones in the market aren’t tailored for gauging such specific information.
The M7 coprocessor gives us hope that technology being utilized for fitness purposes can be made even smaller in the future, and can possibly be used in other products such as Apple’s rumored iWatch. For right now, it seems applications such as Fitbit are the only ones that can take advantage of this technology to help users track and set fitness goals.
The Fitbit app adds a number of other features in addition to MobileTrack, including redesigned Silent Alarms settings, the ability to set a custom water goal, and a redesigned tracker setting to name a few.
- The Fitbit app now features MobileTrack which offers basic Fitbit activity tracking directly using your iPhone 5s.
- Redesigned Silent Alarms settings. Set, switch, edit, and remove alarms faster than ever.
- Set your own custom water goal.
- Redesigned profile editor.
- Redesigned tracker settings.
- Redesigned sign-up and sign-in.
- Tap on people in Friend Finder to see their profile.
- Swipe on friends on your leaderboard to Cheer, Taunt, or Message.
- Tap on tabs to auto-scroll to the top.
The Fitbit application is available as a free app on the App Store.