You know what’s good about an app that costs $14.99? You know it has to be worth the $14.99. And whether you’re a seasoned adventurer or a young kid fresh off the farm with nothing more than a wooden sword and a seemingly insignificant fetch quest to complete, Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition will, indeed, be worth that $14.99.
Originally released in 2000 for Mac and PC, then released again in enhanced form in 2013 for Mac and PC, Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition now brings its classic RPG goodness to iPad gamers. And as you would expect, it begins thus:
Kidnapped. Imprisoned. Tortured. The wizard Irenicus holds you captive in his stronghold, attempting to strip you of the powers that are your birthright.
Can you resist the evil within you, forge a legend of heroic proportions, and ultimately destroy the dark essence that haunts your dreams? Or will you embrace your monstrous nature, carve a swath of destruction across the realms, and ascend to godhood as the new Lord of Murder?
I was never in a heavy metal band, but had I been, we totally would’ve called ourselves the Lords of Murder.
Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition for iPad includes the original Shadows of Amn campaign, then offers this incredible list of goodies and features:
- Throne of Bhaal – Travel to Tethyr in this thrilling conclusion to the Bhaalspawn saga, and delve into the treasure-filled halls of Watcher’s Keep!
- Fist of the Fallen – Help the Sun Soul Monk Rasaad find peace in his quest for vengeance, and determine the fate of a heretical sect.
- Unbound – Join the Blackguard Dorn in carving a swath of destruction across the Realms, as he struggles to appease the increasingly bloody demands of his dark patron.
- A Shadow’s Life – Recruit the mysterious Thief Hexxat and take up her mission of retrieving long lost artifacts from tombs as far away as Zakhara..
- In Defense of the Wild – Protect the innocent and stand with Neera the Wild Mage against a ruthless school of Red Wizards.
- The Black Pits II: Gladiators of Thay – Explore the tactical depth of high-level Dungeons & Dragons combat. Turn your captors against each other while you dodge traps and battle for your life against Demi-Liches, Mind Flayers, and the legendary Githyanki.
- Gallery of Heroes II: Keiren Yanner – Expand your character collection with these six beautifully painted hero portraits from acclaimed artist Keiren Yanner!
- Easy Multiplayer – Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition makes it easy to find, list, and join multiplayer games, even while behind a firewall.
- Widescreen and More – Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition features full widescreen support, remastered area artwork from original renders, and a host of other interface and gameplay improvements.
To learn more about Baldur’s Gate: Enchanced Edition, check out the iTunes App store or visit www.baldursgateii.com. If you’re really feeling nostalgic, why not read Bill Stiteler’s Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn review from 2000? Ah, to be young and working for free again.