This week on the Free Apps Roundup: Happy Pi Day! Does caffeine keep you awake at night? Math keeps me up all night, but if it’s caffeine for you then you might want to check out UP Coffee from Jawbone Labs. It’s an app that wants to track your caffeine intake and then forecast how it will affect you. It can even help you know when you’ll be able to sleep after drinking caffeine. If caffeine isn’t something that bothers you, you might prefer some games that can give you reasons to keep the caffeine flowing. Paper Titans is a beautiful papercraft puzzle game. But when you put the game down for a little while, you can actually print out pieces from the game and make it a little more real. Rounding out the top three is Jenga. Why pick up real Jenga pieces when you can just reset it virtually? Better get to it…almost all of the apps on this week’s list are limited time freebies.
The Top Three Free Apps:
- UP Coffee – This is the first product from Jawbone Labs, and it’s the simplest way to understand how caffein affects your sleep. Basically, they want you to learn about your body’s reaction to caffeine. Even better, if you pair your UP by Jawbone to the app, you can find out it afternoon pick-me-ups are keeping you awake at night (but you don’t need UP to use the app). It will even tell you when you’ll be ready for sleep if you tell it when you want to drink a caffeinated beverage.
- Paper Titans – This is a beautiful papercraft puzzler for all ages. Fling, fly, and explode your way through 45 levels. You can make your own virtual paper character and then combine abilities to solve puzzles and collect stars. This game is beautiful. But if you want to make it a little more real, you can even print out pieces to make your own Titans in the real world. But it’s only free for a limited time.
- Jenga – The official Jenga game for iOS is free for a limited time. That’s right, you can experience all the frustration and fun of Jenga in a virtual world. What’s great about that is you can reset the pieces without picking them up! It’s basically better than real Jenga for that reason alone. It has real-time 3D physics simulation so it’ll act just like the real thing. Each block is affected by surrounding blocks. There are even new game modes! Download it already.
Free Apps for a Limited Time:
- Wa Kingyo – Goldfish Pond – Put goldfish in your iPhone and watch them swim. It’s like a fish tank simulator, except you’re viewing from the top instead of the side. Here’s a fun idea. Download this app and then show it to your pet…
- Metronome touch – This app has one goal—be a gorgeous and accurate metronome. I think they succeeded. The app has useful features like being able to tap a beat and use customizable presets, and you can even sync it to other devices.
- PhotoFusion – Need a photo editing app? This one brings the power and versatility of desktop editing to the palm of your hand. It has layers, a pen selection tool, filters, and tons of other tools. It looks to be a very powerful app that’s only really limited by the time you put into it.
- MagniFire – I was instantly disappointed when I figured out this app does not produce magnetic fires. It can’t do that, but it can use the camera on your iPad to magnify things you have a hard time seeing. But the best feature is that it has text recognition, so it can actually read text out for you, or just make it huge.
- Tapose – Here’s a multi-tasking app that can create journals with all types of content you can create and discover through the built-in browser, map, calculator, and contact tools. It’s great for collaborating with others since you can share your journals. Your journals can contain: drawing, text, voice, video, pictures, notes, highlighting, and more.
- Weight Diary – Keep track of your weight with this app. It’ll estimate your future progress after you enter a few days in. Essentially, it’ll tell you if your weight loss plan is working. There are extra tools included to help you set goals, count calories, and much more.
- Adventures Tomb Puzzle HD – This app is currently half off, which somehow makes it free. The treasure hunter found a map of myth tomb, but now the tomb is collapsing and bricks are blocking his way. Clear the bricks and pass each floor to find the invaluable trasure.
- Jenga HD – The same as above for iPad.
- Go Home DInosaurs – Just when you thought you’ve played enough BBQ defense simulators, here’s yet another. Stop hordes of marauding dinos from crashing your party. You can unlock powerful towers that act like weaponized puzzle pieces. Then take control of a rock-throwing, coconut-gathering gopher to build your defenses. There are 60 levels spread across three worlds. And if you’re a vegetarian, no worries; there’s a veggie mode!
- Lost Twins: A Sliding Puzzle Game – Poor little Abi and Ben were left adrift in an enchanted labyrinth of rooms. Use your wits and reflexes to guide them by matching up rooms and directing them to the magical red door. It’s a mix of a sliding puzzle game with a platformer.