It’s been a long time coming, but Microsoft has finally introduced Office apps for iPad. Now you can view your Word, PowerPoint, and Excel documents with real Microsoft apps. But they didn’t go crazy or anything, editing costs money. If you want to edit your documents, you’ll need to have an Office 365 subscription, which isn’t really all that surprising. In more fun app news, there’s a new Star Wars game that’s free to play on iOS. It’s called Assault Team, and it’s very similar to a virtual collectible card game with all that Star Wars goodness you know you love. But my personal favorite app this week is Flappy Golf. It’s a mashup of Flappy Bird with Super Stickman Golf, and it totally works. You are the ball, and you have wings. Can you flap your way to the hole with the fewest flaps?
The Best Free iOS Apps:
- Flappy Golf – Have you heard of this Flappy Bird game? Probably not. Anyway, this game combines Flappy Bird with 2D golf. It’s an amazingly fun game that has you as a winged ball flapping your way to the hole. The goal is to make it there with the fewest flaps. There are only two buttons: flap left and flap right. If you like the Super Stickman Golf games or Flappy anything, you’ll love this game.
- Microsoft Word for iPad – Now you have yet another way to read Word documents on your iPad! Yes, Microsoft wasn’t the first app to do this on iOS, but they do seem to have a pretty slick app, as long as you don’t mind paying for it on a yearly basis. That’s right, if you want to do anything other than view Word documents (or other Office documents with the other Office apps) you’ll need to sign up for an Office 365 subscription. That way you’ll always have the most up to date Office software across all of your devices and computers along with a nice bill to remind you that you have these apps.
- Star Wars: Assault Team – Assemble a powerful team of your favorite Star Wars heroes, and battle enemies and other players across the galaxy in an original story inspired by the Star Wars franchise. It’s a turn-based combat game from Disney Mobile in partnership with LucasArts. You can probably guess that this is a free-to-play game, but they’d be happy to take your money along the way, too. Essentially, it’s a virtual collectable card game. You can collect and build your very own assault team with all of your favorite classic Star Wars characters. Then lead your team into battle, defeat galactic enemies and other players. Characters can be trained and have their special attacks improved. May the force be with you.
The Other Free iOS Apps (some for a limited time):
- Microsoft Office Mobile – Along with the introduction of the various Office apps for iPad introduced this week, Microsoft has decided to make Office Mobile free as well. This app allows you to view and edit Office documents on your iPhone for personal use. You do need a Microsoft account to use the app, but you don’t need to pay for a subscription for personal use.
- Microsoft PowerPoint for iPad – View your PowerPoint presentations right on your iPad with Microsoft’s very own PowerPoint app. If you want to make edits, you’ll need an Office 365 subscription.
- Microsoft Excel for iPad – Rounding out the lineup of Office apps from Microsoft is everyone’s favorite application, Excel. Like all the others, you can look for free, but if you want to touch, you’ll have to pay.
- Camera360 Concept – HelloCamera – This is a camera app that wants to spark the future of cameras. It has different themes to help you take the right kind of picture with matched filters, frames, and more.
- iTunes Movie Trailers – If you don’t already have this app from Apple, now is a great time to download it. This app has been updated with better Rotten Tomatoes integration, AirDrop link sharing, and most importantly, push notifications. Now you can mark a movie as a favorite and be notified when it hits theaters or iTunes.
- Twitterrific 5 – If you’re not a fan of the official Twitter app, this popular alternative is now free.
- Game of Thrones Ascent – The award-winning game based on Game of Thrones has come to the iPad. Build your noble house, embark on quests and rise in power in the Strategy RPG based on the HBO series Game of Thrones. Your quest begins in the days before the mysterious death of the King’s Hand. There are over 2,500 quests and dozens of adventures. Your decisions impact how the story unfolds. You shape your identity within the world of Westeros. Earn points towards your Power rating, improve your global ranking, and rule your friends. You can use GameCenter to compete in the power leaderboards, or challenge friends to match your achievements.
- Symbol Link – This game was designed by Tetris author Alexy Pajitnov, so you know there’s potential for greatness. There’s also potential for it to suck all of your free time away from you. It’s a puzzle game that has you drawing paths between symbols. It sounds easy because it is easy. But the real trick is to solve the puzzles with the least amount of effort. It’s not good enough to solve the puzzle, you have to do it well.
- Boom Beach – Storm the beach and win the day. This is a combat strategy game where you fight an epic war against the evil Blackguard. Fight for every beachhead, free enslaved islanders, and explore the uncharged archipelago. Oh, plus there are ancient powers hidden on the island. Boom? Explore the huge tropical archipelago, play with thousands of other players, raid their bases, enjoy the spoils of war, and more.