Google has made its Google Maps iOS app even more interesting to use with some new features in the latest update. On v3.0, Google Maps now gives lane guidance and quick access to route overview when using turn-by-turn navigation. You’ll also now be able to access alternate routes while navigating and choose the best drive for you.
The app also now lets you save maps for online use. This is particularly useful if you’re travelling to another country and you know ahead that Internet connection is not really good. You can search for location while still at home, and then use “save map to use offline.” You can even give your map a custom name. Once you’re in your destination, simply fire up Google maps and select the profile icon next to the search box located in the top right corner of the app’s main window.
Next, Google Maps iOS app now allows you to browse through restaurants, bars and hotels by opening hours, rating, price, and more.
Another nice feature is the app’s inter-connectivity with Uber app.This means that you can now open the app within Google Maps iOS app and compare Uber’s transit and walking directions with those of Google Maps. If you choose to take the Uber directions, one tap will get you to the Uber app.
The rest of the new features added to the latest version of Google Maps iOS app are listed as follow:
- Turn-by-turn navigation now gives lane guidance and quick access to route overview
- View travel time, distance, and estimated arrival all at once in navigation mode
- Save offline maps to a custom list for when you’re traveling or have a slow connection
- Transit results now display total walking time of your trip and the next scheduled bus or train
- Filter search results for restaurants, bars and hotels by rating, price, opening hours, and more
- Sign in to see your “Places to review” list from recently saved or searched-for places
- If you have the Uber app installed, open it right from Google Maps when comparing route options
Google Maps is available now for free in the iTunes App Store.