Another week, another article full of great freebies on the App Store. Why pay when you can get pretty much everything you need for free? I can’t really think of a good reason. Well, unless you just like buying apps. Wait, are you looking at me? Okay, fine, guilty as charged. But, you don’t have to buy apps to have a happy iPhone. Here’s my list of free apps to help destroy your weekend.
- Beat Tapper – Trying to record a song with Garageband, but you just don’t know how many beats per second you’re playing at? No sweat, just download this app and as quick as you can tap a few of the beats, you’ll have the BPM. Simple and effective.
- Fuzzle Lite – A challengingly simple game. All you have to do is line up 5 balls of the same color. The catch is that every other move results in more balls being added to the board. This is the Lite version of the regular game and is limited to 400 points on easy, but you can get a feel for things to see if this is your cup of tea.
- iGolf – Is that a golf club in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? iGolf turns your iPhone into your own personal driving range. It’s like having a mini Wii in your pocket. Just swing your device and the ball on screen responds to your motion. Who needs real golf when you can look like a fool flailing around aimlessly with your iPhone? Caution, you might want to play this one in private. Your friends may never look at you the same way again.
- iSlots – Why waste your money on pushing a flashy button when you know you’re just going to lose anyway? Watching those virtual wheels spin isn’t worth the price of admission. Well, unless that price is free. Now, it is. This is a beautiful game that recreates a slot machine for you to waste your virtual money on anytime you please. You won’t win any real money, but you also won’t lose any either. And with your luck, that’s a good thing. Am I right?
- Quip – Apple knows you want MMS on your iPhone, but apparently it just doesn’t bother them that much quite yet. Not to worry, you’re wait is over. Send pictures to your friends with Quip. Your friends don’t even need MMS. SMS works just fine, since you’re just sending a clickable link to your picture. If this sounds awesome to you, you’d better act fast. This one is only free for the first two weeks. Then, it’s up to $4.99.
- Speed Dial #1 – Who’s you’re #1? I’m betting it’s either your other half or your mother. If I were you, I’d pick your other half, but hey, who am I to stop a fight. In any case, use this app to instantly dial a specified number. The first time you run the app, you configure which number to call, and every time there after, it automatically dials. No need to go to your favorites list in the phone section of your iPhone. That would take way too long. And, if you need more than just one of these icons, don’t worry, because relief is on the way. 2,3 and 4 are on there way to the App Store, and they are all going to be free…forever!
- WeightMan – If you’re trying to lose weight, a very good way to keep yourself motivated is to constantly remember just how much you weigh. This app can keep track of how much you weigh every time you weigh yourself. It keeps a graph of your weight history, and serves as that constant reminder. The only thing it’s missing is that notification number on its icon (like unread e-mails in Mail) to display your last recorded weight, then you could never escape that blasted number.