Until now, there have been guesstimates of how many iPhone 3G Ss were sold on its launch day this year. Apple and AT&T have been keeping quite, and we do know that the devices are being sold out around the globe. However, after seeing a recent memo leaked to MacDailyNews, it appears as if the sales were of great quantities.
The following text was what was included in that memo:
1. Fact of the Week: On June 25, the day Michael Jackson died, text messages sent on our network spiked at 65,000 messages per second — the largest volume ever recorded — surpassing events like American Idol voting and New Year’s Eve, when millions of our customers wish their friends and family a happy new year via text.”
2. “iLaunch day 2009 was one for the record books, as AT&T customers scrambled to get their hands on the fastest, most powerful iPhone yet.
Here’s a look at some of the milestones we achieved:
* Best-ever sales day in our retail stores
* Second-largest traffic day in our retail stores
* Most transactions processed via our IT systems in a single day
* Most upgrade eligibility checks in a single day
* Largest order day in att.com history
* Largest features sales day in att.com history
On this year’s launch day, iPhone sales exceeded sales recorded on 2008′s iPhone launch day, Black Friday 2008 and Dec. 26, 2008 — all heavy-volume sales days. In fact, this year we surpassed 2008′s launch day sales at about noon Central time, and sustained our previous peak hour record, also set in 2008, for 11 straight hours.
As you can see, there are a few pieces of information in this memo, and it appears as if AT&T has been having a pretty great month in their company. It also appears as if the iPhone 3GS sold extremely well both online and in brick and mortar stores – so well that it may have outsold the original iPhone 3G from launch day.