As the technology improves, voice control continues to gain popularity in everything from your iPod to alarm clocks. And whereas you expect such functionality to increase on the iPhone, you may not expect it to come via an app. But that’s what Vlingo Corporation is doing with an enhanced version of its Vlingo for iPhone App, delivering up to six voice-powered features, including email, SMS Paste, social site updates, maps and voice dial.
“Over the last year, millions of iPhone users who experienced the convenience and safety of our voice-powered app have asked for more ways to use it on the go,” said Dave Grannan, president and CEO at Vlingo. “Adding email and SMS Paste were natural extensions for busy users who want to experience better, faster ways to communicate. Now, with a single app, it’s easy to send an email or text, call a friend, search the web, update Facebook or Twitter, and use Google Maps simply by speaking into your iPhone.”
Vlingo for iPhone supports North American and U.K. English, and includes the following feature enhancements:
- EMAIL: send an email by speaking a contact, subject and message body. For example, “Email Chris, Subject Tonight, Message Running a bit late!”
- SMS Paste: send a text message by speaking a contact and message. Simply say, “Text Mike, Message How are you?”
- SEARCH: in addition to Google and Yahoo! search, Vlingo has added Bing to the mix. Just say, “Bing sushi restaurants in San Francisco,” and view results.
- AUTO-LISTEN: voice recognition can be set to start automatically when the iPhone is turned on. Simply open Vlingo and speak in one easy step.
- CONTACT SELECTION: when composing a text message, say your contact and the message in one fell swoop, “Text Erin, Message How are you?”
The Vlingo for iPhone App is available for free from the App Store, and includes voice dial, search, maps, Facebook and Twitter update functionality. The new email and SMS Paste messaging features can be added to the app for $6.99 each, or both for $9.99.
Product [Vlingo for iPhone]