One of the most surprising questions we get from new iPhone, iPod touch and iPad users is whether they can play songs, watch movies, or read books on their new iDevice if they aren’t purchased and downloaded from iTunes Store. The answer is yes, of course you can. In most cases, it’s just as easy (if not easier) than buying directly from Apple. In this how-to, we’ll focus on reading ebooks that aren’t purchased through iBooks. It takes a few extra steps, but it can be done.
- Install iBooks on your iPad, if it’s not already there.
- Connect your iPad to your computer.
- Open iTunes.
- On your Mac, drag your ebook files into your iTunes library folder. This can be found clicking on your User name in under Places in the Finder, then drilling down to Music -> iTunes -> iTunes Media ->Books.
- In iTunes, click on your iPad’s name under Devices, click on the Books button at the top, and check the books you want to sync.
- Click Sync.
- Read. It’s fundamental, you know.