Advent marks the beginning of the new year for the Christian Church. November 29 was the first Sunday in Advent this year—the beginning of the new year for the Christian Church and the church season that leads up to Christmas Day. Advent derives from the Latin word (“adventus,” from advenire, from ad – to + venire to come) for an “arrival” or a “coming.”
Advent begins on the Sunday nearest to 30th November (St. Andrew’s Day) and lasts until midnight on Christmas Eve.
- November 28 – First Sunday of Advent 2010
- December 5 – Second Sunday of Advent 2010
- December 12 – Third Sunday of Advent 2010
- December 19 – Fourth Sunday of Advent 2010
- 25 December: Christmas 2010
During Advent, it has been a tradition (that seems to be more popular than ever recently) to make or buy Advent calendars to mark the days leading up to Christmas. Usually these calendars have twenty-four “windows.” Traditional calendar windows open up to show a picture of something pertaining to the time of year. The last window opened usually depicts the Christ Child lying in a manger.
It is also possible to enjoy an Advent calendar on your iDevice. Here are several ways:
BCNmultimedia, the creator of Children’s Bible app, the world’s most downloaded children’s e-book, has announced the release of Children’s Christmas 1.0, an Advent Calendar free app for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. If you like Advent calendars, this is the app for you: an Advent calendar for children of all ages.
Starting on the 1st December, kids will be able to open the corresponding window every day until Christmas day. In every window you will find an illustration about a moment in the gospels on the Annunciation and the Birth of Jesus, together with a text and a quotation from the Bible.
Main Features Of Children’s Christmas:
- A different illustration every day, from December 1st to Christmas day
- A complete teaching resource for Advent and Christmas in 25 illustrations
- For every window, a matching illustration and the corresponding biblical text
- Parents, catechists and teachers can open the windows before the date in order to prepare their comments
- Wish your friends and relatives a Merry Christmas sharing these illustrations via e-mail, Twitter or Facebook
- When all of the windows in the calendar are open, you will see a beautiful Christmas tree with images of the Birth of Jesus (iPad version)
- Those who get ready for Christmas with the movies and comic books from Children’s Bible will find new drawings and texts in Children’s Christmas
Children’s Christmas offers the following scenes:
- December 1st : The prophets announce the birth of Jesus
- December 2nd: The people waits
- December 3rd: Nazareth
- December 4th: Mary
- December 5th: Joseph
- December 6th: Annunciation
- December 7th: Mary says yes
- December 8th: Elizabeth
- December 9th: Magnificat
- December 10th: The Roman census
- December 11th: On the way to Bethlehem
- December 12th: Bethlehem
- December 13th: The inn
- December 14th: The shepherds
- December 15th: Annunciation to the shepherds
- December 16th: The cave
- December 17th: The choir of the angels
- December 18th: The shepherds set off
- December 19th: The Wise Men of the East
- December 20th: The Jewish Wise Men
- December 21th: The Wise Men of the East set off
- December 22th: The star stopped over the cave
- December 23th: The gifts of the Wise Men of the East
- December 24th : Birth of Jesus
- December 25th: Mary
- US English, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish
- iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
- Requires iOS 3.1 or later
- Universal Application
- 12.7 MB
Children’s Christmas 1.0 is free and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Books category.
Product [Children's Christmas]
Advent Calendar 2010: Christmas Quotations for iPhone 1.0
Get in the mood for Christmas with Georg C. Brückmann’s exclusively designed Advent Calendar 2010: Christmas Quotations for iPhone.
This advent calendar features a wide range of quotations from funny to insightful.
- Languages: English, German
A-Story-A-Day Advent Calendar Christmas 2010 v1.0.4
Get into the Christmas spirit with this Advent calendar that has it all—a festive music soundtrack, snowflake animation, and a new Christmas image and story ready to read each day.
By the time Christmas comes, you’ll have a collection of 25 tales to treasure forever. (A cheat option is available, if you want to read stories before December.)
- THE GIFT OF THE MAGI by O. Henry
- A COUNTRY CHRISTMAS by Louisa May Alcott
- THE LIFE AND ADVENTURES OF SANTA CLAUS by L. Frank Baum
- CHRISTMAS IN POGANUC by Harriet Beecher Stowe
- A CHRISTMAS CAROL by Charles Dickens
Plus 20 more classic stories for you to discover as you count down the days to Christmas.
You can play music and watch the snowflakes fall on the festive themes while you wait for December 1st, or click on the unlock button to read stories in advance.
- Christmas Tree
- Snowflake Reindeer
- Shiny Red Balls
- Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies
- Jingle Bells
- O Little Town of Bethlehem
- Fantasy of the Bells
- Choice of eight different calendar themes
- Festive background music (optional)
- Snowflake animation
- A new image and story each day
- Beautiful page design and layout thatâ€™s a pleasure to read
- Realistic page-turn animation
- A navigation bar that’s easy to find and easy to use
- Automatically remembers your place when exiting the app
- Unlock button that allows you to peek at stories in advance
New in Version 1.0.5
- Two new background scenes have been added.
- Calendar updated to 2010
- Seven new small images
- Added page swipes as well touches to turn pages forward and backward
- Updated to work with iPhone OS4
Gourmet Pixel Ltd. have made this one the biggest and best Christmas app. for iOS devices. Packed full of features, the app features a helpful countdown, letting you know exactly how many more days you have to get all those presents for loved ones.
The app is available all year long, yet before the 1st December each year all of the extra features, jokes, songs, toys etc are locked. Once the 1st December arrives, the fun really starts.
You will then be able to start opening the windows within the Advent calendar, each window unlocking a new feature within the app. This will happen every day right through December until Christmas arrives. The developers have added some great hidden treats this year: wallpapers, jokes, festive songs, games, facts and many many more. Xmas Fun 2.1 includes:
- Christmas Day Countdown clock
- Advent Calendar With Surprises
- Make a Christmas Gift List
- Virtual Toys & Gifts
- Create fun festive photos
- Festive Jokes
- Christmas songs and jokes
- Find Christmas Facts
- Play Festive Games
Also new this year is a gift list, so you can keep track of all your present ideas. You can store the name of the person, and the gift idea, then take it off the list when you’ve bought it.
This app works every Christmas, year after year, so it’s a great value compared to the calendar in the shop. Previous version users update to this feature packed version for free.
- Compatible with the iPhone and iPod touch (second generation)
- Requires iPhone OS two or later
- Current version 2.1 (iPhone OS 3.0 tested)
- 13.9 MB
Wait for Christmas with the alarm clock and the calendar of Advent. AdventAlarm features wonderful Christmas music performed and interpreted by Trio Monte for the alarm clock every day of the week. In addition, it offers a postcard of the day to greet whoever you want.
- Set the alarm time (also works in the background)
- The alarm clock has new music every day of the week
- Every day you can also mail the postcard
- Christmas time is over? A special track for the alarm can be used throughout the year.
AdventAlarm is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iOS 4.1 or later.