Our list of Christmas-themed apps for iDevices was getting a bit out of hand this year, so we decided to split off the games into their own category. Whether these are created specifically for Christmas or are just Christmas add-ons to already popular games, there’s more than enough here to keep you entertained while the rest of the family is off roasting their chestnuts or decking their halls.
Also be sure to check out our 25 days of iPhone, iPod and iPad app and accessory holiday sales.
iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
- New – Staraoke Christmas lets the player control a cartoon character on their screen by singing along to various songs. Everybody sings Christmas songs. This first whole-family Christmas iPhone and iPad singing game really develops players’ musical talents, and it’s such fun. The software recognizes the singer’s pitch and keeps the character on the path. The game comes with the most popular Seasonal song, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
- New – YummyBurgers Christmas is an easy to play skill game for all hamburger lovers. Your goal is to make yummy hamburgers to your customers by tapping the correct ingredients in the right order. Manage your own hamburger business – get more toppings, bigger restaurant and larger orders as you play the stand mode. It’s all about concentration, skill, speed and fun. Customers order complicated burgers as you unlock toppings. Watch out for the customers who don’t like cheese nor ketchup.
- New – Independent games developer, The Playforge, has unveiled a new Christmas update in celebration of this joyous season and Zombie Farm’s monumental success. This week, Apple announced Zombie Farm as the only freemium game in their 2010 Rewind: Top 10 Grossing Apps list. The Playforge is wrapping up an incredible year with a sleigh-full of limited edition holiday-inspired crops and decorative items, as well as a powerful new boss for its zombie-harvesting fans to discover.
- Happylatte has announced that High Noon, its popular free-to-play massively multiplayer online Western dueling game, has been highlighted as a top 10 grossing game of the year in 61 countries by Apple. In celebration, High Noon is releasing a Christmas “Snowdown” edition of the game and hosting a shootout tournament with in-game rewards and a chance to win an iPad.
- Focused Apps has announced Santa’s Lil’ Zombies 1.1, their free, addictive and funny game that runs on iPhone and iPod touch. Built with the Unity 3D engine, in Santa’s Lil’ Zombies players shoot zombie elves with a snowball cannon to save Christmas. The game starts off easy, but quickly gets challenging as the player must deal with zombies coming at faster speeds and from multiple directions. The game can be embedded as a fully playable game into a webpage for free.
- Spacetime Studios is ready to celebrate the holidays with the High Winter Festival update for Pocket Legends. Spread the yuletide cheer with new quests, loots, and combat areas sure to fulfill your MMO cravings this Christmas.
- Drahtwerk has released Tumbles Christmas Edition, a seasonally themed version of their brainchild Tumbles with refined gameplay and many new features. Pop, pop, pop – pop till you drop! Tumbles Christmas Edition is a highly addictive physics-based match-three game with beautifully polished high-definition graphics and a cheerful soundtrack. Tumbles Christmas features four distinct game modes will keep the player entertained for hours: Classic, Challenge, Blitz, Online Multiplayer.
- Look and Find Santa from Publications International, Ltd. (PIL) offers all of the excitement of the “Look and Find” brand of books now available in app form on the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad for this holiday season. Kids can now pinch, pull and touch to locate holiday “find ‘ems” and “super secret find ‘ems” from a variety of super busy holiday scenes.
- Namazu Studios is celebrating Christmas by releasing a special edition of iDuel Online, called iDuel Online Holiday 2010. As of December 13th, its available free on the App Store. The Holiday 2010 Special Edition is the perfect opportunity for new players to try iDuel Online or for previous players to return to the game. This version of iDuel Online is a limited time promotion that awards both new and veteran players with Christmas-themed gear for their avatars. The first time you log in with the Special Edition, you’ll get at least one free Christmas item gift as well as 30 free Spectral Credits. As you level up, you’ll earn more free items. Players should log in and play often to collect all 35.
- Czech based Madfinger Games has announced BloodyXmas 2010, their new 3D survival hack and slash game for iPhone and iPod touch. Get ready for the funniest, funnest, and most spectacular Christmas ever. In Santa’s workshop, protect Christmas presents against hordes of zombies, skeletons, witches and other monsters. BloodyXmas combines gorgeous cell-shaded 3D graphics with an enhanced survival game experience and an intuitive control scheme.
- Santa’s Christmas Village (17-in-1) from EnsenaSoft has just been made available on the App Store. This exciting new version of the game, which previously was rated #1 “Best Santa Game” by Apple iTunes in 2009, includes an incredible 17 entertaining and fun games that will get you into the Christmas spirit no matter what the time of year. Santa’s Christmas Village’s hand drawn computer painted graphics, original seasonal folk music, classic Christmas tunes (over 25 songs included), and classic original games encourages your entire family to participate in the fun. You select games by moving around in the Christmas village, and clicking on the different animated buildings and items. The 17 included games are all visually stunning and includes classics such as Mahjong, Checkers, Reversi, Tic-Tac-Toe, 4 In A Row, Word Search, Solitaire, Minesweeper, Hangman, Dots, Sudoku, Oh Christmas Tree, Santa’s List, Snowman Math, Night Before Christmas, Bear Piano and Reindeer Memory. Several of the games have multiplayer capability, and multiple difficulty settings adding to the fun.
- Catharsis Labs has announced Santa Strike 1.0, a new Elf Bowling style arcade game for iOS devices. An instant hit, Santa Strike has reached the top 50 and top 75 in the Apple sports and arcade categories respectively. This is an impressive start for a game that had very little PR or major marketing push going into its release. There are nearly 50,000 games in the Apple app store, with 900 being added this month alone.
- To celebrate their first six months creating iPhone games and entertainment apps, Neon Play has launched Fat Santa 1.0, their own Christmas app for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Fat Santa comes with three games in one app, plus Game Center with global leaderboards and achievements. In all of the games, you need to help Fat Santa get the food as he’s a hungry so-and-so, always after Turkey, Christmas puds and Brussels Sprouts.
- Baby Cortex has launched holiday updates to several of its top-selling children’s edutainment apps. The holiday twist can be found on Baby Photos, Baby Flash Cards, Baby Flash Cards 2 and Baby Piano.
- Freeverse has announced the worldwide release of Flick Winter Carnival for the iPhone and Flick Winter Carnival HD for the iPad now available for download free on the App Store. From Graveck and Freeverse, comes this must-have collection of classic Carnival games that will keep you playing for hours. Combine strength and trajectory to demolish stacks of milk bottles in Bottle Smash. Try your luck at looping rings onto bottles in Ring Toss, and test your reflexes in the Old West Shooting Gallery. Stop by the Photobooth to frame up photos of you and your friends as Santa Claus or Frosty the Snowman, and consult with Voltar the Wise to have your fortune told. Win tickets to purchase cool prizes, and compete for high scores in the best Carnival ever.
- KwiqApps has releases 12 Days of Christmas 1.0.18, a new music game based on the traditional Christmas song of the same name. It blends the game play of Rock Band with a hint of Whack a Mole that will delight kids of all ages and adults who are kids at heart. The game can be enjoyed in two modes. In Watch mode, get a feel for the pace of the music. The Play mode allows players to score points by finger tapping images of the twelve gifts mentioned in the song.
- Om Nom gets festive this Christmas with the launch of Cut the Rope: Holiday Gift. To celebrate the season of giving and to thank fans around the world, Cut the Rope: Holiday Gift will be a free standalone version that introduces a new box filled with joy.
- Wulven Game Studios has announced Santa Slaughter 1.0, available for free on the iPhone, iPad and Facebook. Santa’s village is under attack, and it’s up to him to stop the evil monsters in this action-packed 3D First Person Shooter. Santa Slaughter combines a traditionally happy setting with delightfully evil monsters. The universal app supports high resolution iPad and Retina displays, while Game Center is used for achievements and leader boards.
- Indie developer Tangible Games has announced Christmas Cats & Christmas Cats HD, iPhone and iPad Christmas themed games that will help everyone get into the holiday mood. Can’t but wonder what cats do on the Christmas Eve, when people are sleeping? They’re catching Santa’s gifts, of course. Christmas Cats offers stylish hand drawn visuals, addictive with simple gameplay with finely tuned tilt controls. Give a gift to someone special. Play a great game. Get into the holiday mood with Christmas Cats.
- Nickelodeon’s Dora the Explorer is starring in a new interactive storybook application for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, giving kids a fun way to celebrate the spirit of the holidays. Dora’s Christmas Carol Adventure is an intuitive app that features elements of mobile gaming and offers interactive storytelling interspersed with fun mini-games.
- Tiny Mobile has announced Santa’s Eatin’ Cookies 1.0, their new Christmas themed puzzle game for iOS. No one likes an angry Santa. Take the role of a newly recruited elf, hired to keep Santa happy by feeding him cookies on all those days between Christmases. Santa’s Eatin’ Cookies offers challenging but accessible gameplay, featuring 16 super fun levels, with an alternating game mode play style, Game Center integration, leaderboards and more.
- Twigsbury has announced Merry Puzzles – Countdown to Christmas 1.0, their new interactive puzzle application for iPhone and iPod touch. With Merry Puzzles – Countdown to Christmas you stroll through Santa’s Village to open rib-tickling picture puzzles. When complete, the puzzles become interactive scenes with animations and sounds that bring them to life. The app includes custom recordings of 12 classic holiday melodies.
- Candywriter has announced Word Solitaire: Holiday 1.0, their “Holiday” limited edition puzzle version for iPhone and iPod touch. Word Solitaire is a mash up of traditional solitaire and word creation where, instead of playing cards, each card represents a letter of the alphabet. In “Holiday,” each level requires the user to find and construct specific holiday-themed words and phrases. Once all provided letters have been arranged into words, the user may advance to the next level.
- Big Bad Brush has announced Kung Fu Santa 1.0, their much anticipated second game for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Kung Fu Santa is here to save Christmas from the evil elves. The evil elves have stolen all of Kung Fu Santa’s presents and plans to sell them all for money. This arcade style game features colorful graphics with fast moving Kung Fu action, as well as game center and retina display capabilities.
- The holiday season is all about giving and spreading joy, and no little girl loves getting in the spirit of Christmas more than Nickelodeon’s Dora the Explorer. So even though Swiper the fox has given her trouble in the past, Dora wants to help Swiper learn all about the meaning of Christmas in an entirely new realm: the digital world of the iPhone and iPad. Dora’s Christmas Carol Adventure is a fresh new storybook app that is sure to delight children with its exciting mini-games, colorful graphics, and Christmas cheer. Parents will also appreciate how the app teaches their kids the meaning of Christmas, reading and listening comprehension skills, and even a few Spanish words—all with fun and familiar characters like Dora, Swiper, and Santa Claus.
- Fragger 1.5: Arctic Storm—with 30 challenging Christmas levels—has been released and can now be found on the App Store.
- Collapse! Holiday Edition, the blockbuster puzzle series, is back with all new holiday-themed levels and graphics. The Collapse series of games have been downloaded over 175MM times, making it one of the top casual game franchises of all time. Players must rescue a winter wonderland from the frozen grip of a block of monsters who want to stop Christmas.
- New – Christmas Defense for the Apple iPad will make you laugh and smile. Not only does it look beautiful with its crisp and colorful graphics, it’s as easy to control as Santa’s sleigh, and has more cool features than Santa has presents in his workshop: Christmas Defense features multiple levels of varying difficulty, 6 Christmas towers each with 3 levels of upgrades, special Santa Powers, and 4 brand new enemy types compared to the previous version, in addition to score calculation, level selection, tower properties balancing, and a really cool option to rate the game from within the hierarchy of menus.
- New – Pixels Trade has announced Little Father Christmas 1.1, an iPad app inspired by the Christmas theme that includes two children games from 3 to 8 years. Developing three essential senses of the child for touching, seeing and hearing, Kids can choose between a puzzle and a memory game. In the Puzzle game, Children will love reconstituting the images of Santa Claus and his friends. As a classic Memory game, the child has to exercise his visual memory and retain the boxes content and their places.
- New – The New Year’s version of the game Rooster Rex is available in the App Store. In this colorful arcade you’ll have to help the young rooster to save the farms in all corners of the Earth. The considered gameplay, beautiful graphics and nice music will allow you to stay in the enthralling world of the Rooster Rex for a long time.
- Pirates vs Ninjas vs Zombies vs Pandas HD is now out for iPad on the App Store priced $1.99. As if this High Definition 4-way demolition-fest weren’t enough, Pan Vision and Tactile Entertainment are celebrating the Christmas season by offering a FREE festive version of PvNvZvP: Santa Ninja vs. Panda Claus.
- BeiZ today introduces Staraoke Christmas HD 1.0 for iPad. Staraoke Christmas HD is a unique and non-violent iPad-game that combines three things kids love: singing, games and friends. It lets the player control a cartoon character on their screen by singing along to various songs. The software recognizes the singer’s pitch and keeps the character on the path. Children will quickly develop their singing ability to win as many points as possible.
- Aquafadas has announced the release of a new application dedicated for the iPad: Xmas Alphabet – Learn and Play. With this new iPad application children can discover the amazing world of words and letters in a Christmasy spirit. Xmas Alphabet comes with joyful backgrounds with Christmas characters, letting kids to learn to spell words from a Christmas themed choice of vocabulary and have fun at the same time.
- G5 Entertainment has just released Elves Inc: Christmas Mission HD a terrific adventure to inspire holiday cheer in everyone who plays it. Plunge yourself into the shining world of a winter fairy tale! Control and master the logistics of Christmas. Help magic elves deliver and load gifts to Santa’s sledge before Christmas comes. Make sure they don’t run into each other or they will drop the gifts and children won’t get their Christmas presents. This isn’t just another line drawing game – the spirit of Christmas is at stake.
- Comboapp has announced 3D Coloring Book for Kids: Christmas 1.0 for iPad. 3D Coloring Book for Kids: Christmas offers users the ability to color in three dimensional outlines of classic and well known Christmas characters, allowing them to rotate and move original content that they fill in with the colors of their choice. As users color in various portions of 3D Coloring Book’s canvas, changing hues and shading effects are automatically added to create a realistic three dimensional appearance.
- Stefan Preuss has released Santa’s Xmas Mess HD 1.0 for Apple’s revolutionary iPad device. Santa’s Xmas Mess is a fun arcade style tap-the-right-item type of game. Let the falling presents safely land on Santa’s moving sleigh by controlling the speed of the presents. The beautiful Christmas theme and the easy game play makes Santa’s Xmas Mess a great game for all ages. Santa’s Xmas Mess is released in the Family and Kids category.
- Twigsbury has announced Countdown to Christmas – Holiday Puzzles 1.0, their new interactive puzzle app for iPad. Featuring illustrations by the Kersten Brothers Studio, stroll through Santa’s Village to open rib-tickling picture puzzles. When complete, the puzzles become interactive scenes with animations and sounds that bring them to life. The app includes custom recordings of 12 classic holiday melodies.
- Robot Communications, Inc., has announced Stray Sheep: Poe’s Christmas, an interactive e-book App for the Apple iPad (LITE version available on iPhone and iPod Touch). Based on the tales of Poe, a beloved Japanese cartoon character, Stray Sheep: Poe’s Christmas sees Poe, a small, naïve, independent, and curious ram getting into the most unpredictable situations during the Christmas holidays. The App, which offers a fun and entertaining interactive experience for people of all ages, also includes two games as part of the e-book experience: ‘Spot the Difference’ and ‘Sliding Puzzle’, both of which can be played at various difficulty levels even after the story is over.