Now that iOS 5 is publicly available, and a tethered jailbreak is possible on almost all iDevices that are capable of running iOS 5 (excluding the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S), those who are too impatient to wait for an untethered jailbreak to be released for iOS 5 (such as myself) have settled with tethered for now. Cydia developers have been hard at work bringing their apps, tweaks, themes and other packages up to date with iOS 5, and more are becoming compatible with the new iOS version every day. A compiled list of compatible, partially compatible, incompatible and unknown Cydia packages from what is known right now follows.
Starting with fully compatible packages which you may install on your jailbroken iDevice(s) running iOS 5 without hesitation:
60 Second Lock Screen
Action Menu Plus Pack
App Switcher Brightness
AppSync for 5.0
APT 0.7 HTTPS Method
Color Mail Labels
Compas for Maps
Five collum SB
Five Icon Dock
Five Icon Switcher
FullScreen for Safari
Home Button in Safari
iRetina 4+ SBSetting Theme
Manual Correct Pro
Media Controller Brightness
Navigate From Maps
Phone GV Extension
Pull to Refresh for Mail
Pull to Refresh for Safari
Repo Setup Files
RSSWidget for iOS 5
Serious SBSettings HD
Silent Vibrate SBSettings
SMS GV Extension
SpringFlash + SBSettings Toggle
Substrate Safe Mode
Transparent Statusbar for iOS4
Some important notes about a few of the compatible packages follow:
- AndroidLock XT – Will work although, it will disable the camera button on your lock screen.
- Black Keyboard – Reports say it’s buggy.
- Gridlock – Requires IconSupport, which is not publicly available for download yet. The current version of IconSupport does not support iOS 5. The beta version does.
- iRealSMS – Reports say it eliminates the ability to send MMS messages.
- Pull to Refresh for Mail – Reports say there are some bugs with this.
- Scrollingboard – Reports say this can cause sluggishness.
- ultrasn0w – Only works on old baseband. More here.
- Winterboard – Not in Cydia, download .deb file here. Install through SSH.
Here are some packages that are partially compatible with iOS 5, which mostly work but contain a few bugs and other issues that may cause a few headaches. Only install these if you are okay with dealing with potential problems when using them:
App Switcher Ringer
Clock Plugin for LockInfo
Dynamic Table Strip
No Clock Status
Issues reported with these partially compatible packages are as follows:
- App Switcher Ringer – This will change media volume, but has no effect on ringer volume.
- biteSMS – Currently in open beta.
- Calltell – Works, but isn’t compatible with iMessage.
- CleanStatus – Reports say that it doesn’t hide status bar objects correctly.
- Clock Plugin for LockInfo – Calendar doesn’t work.
- Dynamic Table Strip – Works for Contacts app, Phone app, but not iPod app.
- iAP Cracker – Reports say it conflicts with other apps.
- iBlank – The theme to remove shadows doesn’t work and you will be unable to respring your iDevice.
- IconSupport – The beta version works in iOS 5. The public version does not.
- LockGestures – Only tap gestures are working.
- LockInfo – Beta works, public version doesn’t.
- LSRotator – Works fine except for a glitch with the camera button.
- MultiIconMover – Beta works fine, get it here.
- No Clock Status – Works everywhere except Facebook and Cydia.
- StatusTweak – Moving the AM/PM in your status bar doesn’t work.
- SwipeToMoveCursor – Moves cursor two spaces instead of one space.
Now for the incompatible packages which you should avoid installing at all costs as they will cause you nothing but problems on iOS 5:
Celeste Bluetooth File Sharing
Home Page in Safari
LockScreen Clock Hide
Random Icon Flip
RestoreTab for Safari
Safari Download Manager
SBRotator for iOS 4.x
Speed for Maps
User Agent Faker
Lastly, here are some packages with unknown compatibility on iOS 5. It is recommend that you also stay away from these packages until compatibility with iOS 5 is confirmed or an update is issued to bring support for it. Installing these is entirely at your own risk:
Ask to Send
GridTab for Safari
HeadingLock for Maps
Link Identity Editor
OpenNotifier Premium Pack
If you’re like me—you couldn’t wait for an untethered jailbreak and went ahead with a tethered jailbreak to get your hands on some of the jailbreak community’s finest work on Apple’s most advanced iOS version yet—enjoy the compatible and partially compatible packages on your iDevice(s), and be sure to stay far away from the incompatible and unknown packages until they are updated for iOS 5 or verified to be compatible!