This week on the Free Apps Roundup: WinZip should bring back some memories. There was a time when it was pretty much necessary on the PC. How about Monopoly? They’re at it again with a new hotel game. Okay, remember Cro-Mag Rally? That one’s free this week too. Yeah, this week’s list brings back a lot of memories, and it sure to make some more.
- WinZip – They’ve been leading file compression for 20 years now, so you might as well download their iOS app. With it you can open zip files to see what’s inside. What more could you ask for?
- MONOPOLY Hotels – I will admit I’ve never actually finished a game of Monopoly. Eventually, everyone just quits. But this is something different. You can take control of MONOPOLY’s luxurious 5-star hotels. If you make your rooms fancy enough, you might just attract some of your favorite HASBRO characters; you know, the ones with personalities so loud they have to be written in all caps; like MR. POTATO HEAD. You can add shops and attractions, manage the utilities, and more. Best of all, it’s free.
- Fractal: Make Blooms Not War – This ambient music puzzler is the next creation from the makers of Auditorium and Pulse. You get to pulse your way through a technicolor dreamscape while manipulating fractals, creating blooms and expanding your consciousness, all at 130 beats per minute. It’s sure to be a new and interesting experience.
Free for a limited time:
- Cro-Mag Rally – This was one of the first cart racers on iOS, and now it’s free for a very limited time.
- Coloring Pages – If you didn’t feel like springing for Griffin’s iCrayon, this might be the next best thing. It utilizes the iPad as a coloring page complete with supplies and characters ready to be colored. It’s great for kids and has an interface made for small fingers.
- Awesome Days – Event Countdown – Some may say that counting down to events makes it take that much longer (I’d have to agree), but others think it’s just great. This app is a great way to keep track of just how many days it is until things like your birthday, anniversary, or your next vacation. But it also does so in style.
- PolyMagic – Ever wanted to piece together a couple of pictures into one image in a custom frame? Of course you have. This app lets you do just that, and it’s completely customizable. Frames don’t need to be separated by plain rectangles; no, this app wants you to create your own frame where just about everything is customizable. It’ll give you a truly unique, yet clean composition.
- Assassin’s Creed Recollection – If you’re an Assassin’s Creed fan, you’ll want to check out this iPad real-time board game from Ubisoft Montreal. It’s a virtual card game packed full of artwork created for the Assassin’s Creed games. There are numerous modes and things to do.
- Back to the Future Ep 1 HD – Need I say more? Just download it.
- Prose with Bros – There’s just nothing like sitting down with your best friends and writing some poetry. Actually, I’m not qualified to comment, because I have no idea what that’s like. But maybe we can all start with this game that’s sure to keep the laughter coming. Think of it as fridge poetry. You and your opponent get the same 50 words to make the best sentence. It’s sure to end up funny, random, offensive, or better. Then, the “mob” gets to decide who had the better sentence. A must-try for word-game fans.
- AWESOME Land – It’s not Marioland. Let’s get that straight for the lawyers among us. It does, however, draw heavily from our favorite Italian plumber-hero. You play as Manley. Your motorcycle has been stolen by, who else, aliens. You’ll have to go on a pretty awesome quest through a twisted version of the Nevada Desert, killing aliens and more on the way. There are 20 amazing levels that will bring you back to the days when gaming was arguably more fun. This one won’t be free for long.