iOS hackers pod2g and MuscleNerd have released some key information on the upcoming iOS 5.1.1 jailbreak, including a FAQ and a statement declaring that jailbreakers can now safely upgrade to iOS 5.1.1. The only group warned not to upgrade is, as always, unlockers in order to preserve their baseband version.
Quoted below is MuscleNerd’s iOS 5.1.1 jailbreak FAQ:
- All info below is tentative and subject to last minute refinements
- @pod2g’s 5.1.1 jailbreak+untether is working out great. All devices are covered except for AppleTV3,1, which currently has no path for jailbreaking.
— the initial 5.1.1 plan used a kernel exploit from @westbaer which unfortunately precluded use in iPod3,1 and iPhone2,1
— @planetbeing stepped up and provided a kernel exploit that covers both of those. Those two JBers are the bomb!
- The 5.1.1 A5 JB is very similar to the A5 5.0.1 JB. @pimskeks has done a tremendous job supporting both 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 in absinthe
- Similar to 5.0.1, there will also be a 5.1.1 CLI “cinject” binary and redsn0w version of the 5.1.1 JB+untether. Absinthe, cinject, and redsn0w will all provide the same JB in different fashions.
— timing is indeterminate. Plans are for this week, but a number of factors can influence that.
- For those wishing to donate, we’ve set up a new 5.1.1 paypal URL: paypal
- Please don’t pirate AppStore apps (seriously, please do not).
While the iOS 5.1.1 jailbreak is now surely right around the corner, MuscleNerd still notes that an exact date has not been determined. Sometime this week is looking really good for this long-awaited release, though.