TechnologyTell

GE microwave malfunction could cause a house fire

Sections: Uncategorized

0
Print Friendly

Here’s a home technology alert on a particular GE brand microwave oven. The problem could be dangerous since the model has a known issue of starting on its own. Some microwave ovens have even caused house fires. Read my experience with a malfunctioning GE microwave oven.

The model is GE LVM1750DM1BB – an over the stove, plug-in model manufactured in mid 2008.

We were sitting at breakfast one morning, not having used the microwave at all. Suddenly, the inside blower turned on, the panel lights came on and the range hood fan and light came on. No one was near the appliance. The unit ran for five minutes as we tried to push buttons and operate controls. Finally, we unplugged it.

Next day, we called the store that sold us the microwave. We purchased it about four months ago. They referred us to GE’s warranty department. The warranty department was quite cordial. They asked a lot of questions, took our contact information, and set a service call for a day later. Oddly, we received a phone call from tech support a few hours later.

The tech rep said this is a known issue. He directed us to push down firmly on the microwave’s door to realign it. He said that having had the power unplugged for 12 hours would have shut off the malfunctioning controls and reset the unit. He told us to plug it back in. We did. It worked. And he said our problem was solved. He declined to have the service man keep the appointment that had been set and said if it happened again, we’d know what to do.

My issue is, if we were not at home when the unit decided to turn itself on, the consequences could be significant. Doing a bit of research on the web, I find that multiple consumers have had issues with GE microwaves either turning themselves on or off. Some have actually caught fire – some with grave consequences and extreme damage.

According to other consumer reports, GE company’s assistance runs from non-responsive, to barely helpful, to charging the customers substantial money to solve the problem, even when the unit has been under warranty. Several model numbers have been cited, and it should be noted that other brands have had similar issues, though the service and replacement of defective units appears to be better with other manufacturers.

0
Print Friendly