Facebook has just rolled out simultaneous updates of its mobile apps for both Android and iOS with several new features most notable of which is the addition of the sharing feature. This is similar to the sharing feature that you normally use on facebook.com. What this new feature does it to let you reshare posts while you’re viewing your Facebook account on your smartphone. This is somewhat similar to Twitter’s “Re-tweet” functionality. The other new features of the updated Facebook app for Android and iOS include the appearance of a list of your friends when you are typing a friend’s name in the status or comment. This enables you to quickly tag your friends with your status updates or comment. Interestingly, while the iOS app’s log say that this is a new feature, some users (including myself) are pretty sure that those features have been with the previous version of the Facebook app for iPhone. This could be a new feature only for the Facebook Android app.
Facebook app for iOS is currently in version 2 and has the following new features:
- Now you can share the best stories from your news feed with just one tap.
- New Share link to re-post stories from your news feed
- Tag your friends in any post, comment or photo
- Smileys, hearts and other emoji in messages
- To sort your feed, tap the button next to News Feed in the left sidebar
While the Android app has the following new features:
- Share option on News Feed stories
- Ability to create an album from the Photos tab on Timeline
- Improvements to photo tagging
- Fix for status update failure affecting some users