Apparently someone is listening to my cry, and those of the chained masses with Microsoft Windows Mobile phones. Firefox has confirmed it is working on first a Linux version, followed by Windows Mobile 6 version. No timeframe has been given.
Christian Serjersen of Mozilla tells us through his blog that a Symbian version will come down the line as well. He lays out the goals of the program as:
- provide Mozilla’s standards-based open-source browser engine, optimized for mobile, that can be embedded by device manufacturers and others;
- a full-featured mobile browser including support for XUL-based add-ons, delivering on Firefox’s key principles of ease-of-use, security and accessibility;
- grow the Mozilla community in the mobile space;
- provide tools and documentation to help developers develop, debug and deploy web applications;
- do all of this work in the shared Mozilla source repositories so all platforms, desktop and mobile benefit each other