What do you get when you “marry” a webcam and a wireless router into one gadget? You get the Linksys WVC54GC Wireless-G Internet Home Monitoring Camera. That’s why you see the relatively large form factor for a typical webcam or wireless router stand alone. The gadget looks rather strange to me but then considering its unconventional name as a result of unconventional marriage of two conventional devices, Linksys ought to be forgiven for that.
The WVC54GC (heck its too long to mention the whole name) however is quite an awesome gadget for its functionalities. It can send live audio and video to a web browser anywhere in the world and does it wirelessly. The gadget has built-in video stream encoder and stand-alone web server so there is no PC required to setup a wireless home security monitoring system for the house that could possibly cost you arms and kegs to own one. And the fact that WVC54GC costs only $120 gives you no reason not to consider this inexpensive solution for your expensive investment.
- Streams high-quality live video and audio over the Internet to a web browser anywhere in the world.
- Built-in video stream encoder and stand-alone web server makes PC unnecessary.
- Supports MPEG4 and MJPEG video encoding up to 640×480 pixels.
- Connects up to 4 users simultaneously.
- Security Mode automatically sends email alerts with video clips upon motion detection.
- Microphone on the front with built-in preamp.