TechnologyTell

Companies wary of upgrading to Windows 7

Sections: Computers, Software / Applications

0
Print Friendly
Windows 7 with XP mode

When Microsoft released Windows Vista, despite all the hype a lot of people decided to wait out the release to decide whether they should upgrade. We all know that after reports started coming in on how much Vista changed from XP along with some of the unspecified flaws that many users saw, a lot of users decided against changing. Many companies refused the change as well, going so far as to replace Vista with XP on their new computers. It looks as if Windows 7 might be facing a similar problem at the start.

In a survey by ScriptLogic, 60 percent of companies polled said they will not be upgrading to Windows 7 in the foreseeable future. Of the remaining 40 percent, only 5.4 percent of the companies polled plan to upgrade to 7 by the end of this year. That leaves about 34 percent to upgrade by the end of 2010. For many companies the biggest reason to not upgrade was “lack of time and resources,” which does make sense for not upgrading by the end of 2009, but not necessarily 2010. Others have said that they will wait for Windows 7 SP1 before upgrading, as a way to ensure all the bugs are out of the original release.

While in retrospect, the upgrade to Vista may have been a bad step for many as it broke come compatibilities and had poor performance, that hesitance may be unfounded with 7. Granted businesses have much more back-end to worry about when it comes to upgrading to another OS while keeping the network together, Windows 7 is an upgrade many should look into. With the XP mode, all programs are guaranteed to work, provided you have the proper chips in the company computers. Windows 7 is an upgrade every company still using XP should probably look into if only because it will presumably be more secure. Microsoft dropped the ball with Vista, but deserves the benefit of the doubt with 7. On the other hand, there’s always OS X and all the variations of Linux should you want something different.

Read [Reuters]

0
Print Friendly