After several advanced Android smartphones announced during the CES 2011, how about a basic new phone from Sprint for a change? This time it’s the Motorola i886, a simple and yet very tough phone with some nice features inside. Actually, you’ve probably heard about the Motorola i886 somewhere else a couple of months ago, but it is only now that Sprint is officially releasing it.
So, what does the Motorola i886 has in store for you? Like we said it’s a ruggedized phone? By that we mean military-grade ruggedness as this phone has met military 810G specs. The Motorola i886 sports a horizontal sliding keyboard device with Nextel Direct Connect. It also has a 2.2-inch display with 240×320 pixel resolution, a 2MP camera with digital zoom, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, a 2GB microSD card, GPS, and 1380mAh battery.
Other features of the Motorola i886 include – full access to the web and e-mail, SMS, and of course Nextel Direct Connect features such as group messaging. The phone was said to be running on Android, but unfortunately, it was not clear what flavor of Android it is.
The Motorola i886 is available now on two-year contract from Sprint for $79.99 after the usual rebate.
Here’s the full press release:
Motorola i886 fact sheet
Built tough and slim – boasting a full QWERTY keyboard & the power of direct-connect
Motorola i886 is the first handset with a side-sliding full QWERTY keyboard and Nextel Direct Connect®. The combination of texting, email and Nextel Direct Connect make this device the ultimate tool for instant communication. As an added bonus, it’s built tough to meet Military specification 810G requirements for dust, shock, vibration, low and high temperature, low pressure and solar radiation, all while maintaining a slim profile! Motorola i886 supports all the Nextel Direct Connect features, including Direct SendSM, Direct TalkSM, Group Connect® and Next Mail®. It is also equipped with a 2MP camera, stereo Bluetooth®, MP3 player, group messaging and GPS.
NEXTEL DIRECT CONNECT:
· Direct Connect for instant, one-to-one push-to-talk communication nationwide with any other Nextel Direct Connect subscriber
· Group Connect to communicate or coordinate activities with up to 20 other Nextel Direct Connect subscribers all at once – nationwide
· International Direct ConnectSM lets you instantly connect from the United States to users in other eligible countries, including Canada and Mexico, and lets you make and receive push-to-talk calls while travelling in those countries
· Direct Talk offers a reliable backup all-digital, off-network, push-to-talk service that works anywhere, anytime between compatible phones for short-range communications (range will vary based on terrain and conditions and in-building performance)
· Direct Send sends pictures or contact information to other Direct Send-capable phones using the Direct Connect button
· Group Messaging to send messages to groups of up to 20 people at the same time
· NextMail lets you send voice messages to any email address to document and track activity using the Direct Connect button
· Rugged design meets Military specification 810G requirements for dust, shock, vibration, low and high temperature, low pressure and solar radiation
· Sliding design with full QWERTY keyboard
· Access to email, including Exchange ActiveSync, POP3 and IMAP
· Instantly send and receive SMS text messages across the room or across the country
· Send or receive Multimedia Messages (either audio, images, text, or all three in the same message) to or from email addresses and other capable users
· 2.0 megapixel camera and camcorder with digital zoom
· Built-in MP3 player
· GPS Navigation enabled
· Advanced Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Technology 2.1 with EDR
· Supports up to 32 GB MicroSD card (2 GB card included)
· Dimensions: 4.58 inches x 2.01 inches by 0.73 inches (116.3 mm x 51.1 mm x 18.5 mm)
· Weight: 4.98 ounces (141.2 grams)
· Display: 2.2-inch 65K TFT (240 x 320)
· Battery Specifications: 1380 mAh Lithium-ion
· Talk Time:up to 4.08 hours talk time1