TechnologyTell

Netflix website gets redesigned

Sections: Business News, Web, Websites

0
Print Friendly
new Netflix

When you stroll over to the Netflix website, you’ll notice that it has undergone a bit of a change. The new Netflix interface was designed to put more attention on Netflix’s Watch Instantly options for movies and television shows. If you want to see the old Netflix interface, you can only see it in the “Browse DVDs” portion of the site.

Netflix is focusing more on its streaming business than its DVD business. This is for good reason because Netflix streaming accounts for nearly 30 percent of downstream internet traffic in the United States during peak hours. Sony Computer Entertainment of America president Jack Tretton also went on record at Sony’s E3 2011 press conference by saying 30 percent of Netflix usage comes from the PlayStation 3. The other 70% is done by a multitude of devices such as smartphones, the iPad, TVs, Blu-ray players and other devices.

From what I’ve seen, the Netflix application on the PS3, Xbox 360 and iPhone hasn’t changed.

You’ll notice that there are a lot more movie and TV show and movie suggestions on the Netflix homepage. The box art for the content is also larger than before. Clicking on the box art will play the content immediately, but hovering over it with the mouse will reveal more information. This can be slightly frustrating with television shows with multiple seasons because you have to click the “more info” link in order to choose specific episodes. The scrolling effect when trying to view more content may also be too slow for some people.

The comments section on the Netflix Blog is filled upset customers who prefer the ways of old. Something tells me they’ll get over it.

Via [Netflix Blog]

0
Print Friendly