Hoping to put some order to its smartphone product lines, Samsung has just announced that future smartphones that the company will be releasing are going to use a new naming convention. According to Samsung, its new nomenclature for smartphones is aimed at putting some order on Samsung’s stable of smartphones. Each of these letters somehow represent what the smartphones under them are going to be. Here’s the complete list of Samsung’s naming convention for its Galaxy smartphones:
- “S” (Super Smart) – Devices at the very pinnacle of Samsung’s mobile portfolio. This class will only be used on flagship devices such as the Samsung Galaxy S, the award-winning smartphone that has already sold 10 million units throughout the world.
- “R” (Royal / Refined) – Premium category models, a combination of power, performance and productivity for the individual who wants to be defined by the technology they carry.
- “W” (Wonder) – High quality, strategic models, perfect for those seeking a balance between style and performance.
- “M” (Magical) –High-performance models at an economic price-point.
- “Y” (Young) – These are entry models or strategic models for emerging markets or a younger audience more sensitive to price.
Class indicators allow a more specific description of the key selling points of a device:
- “Pro” – This indicates that the device includes a QWERTY keyboard for speedier email typing and increased productivity for professionals.
- “Plus” – This indicates that the device is an upgrade from an existing model.
- “LTE” – This indicates that the device is designed to utilize LTE (Long-Term Evolution) connectivity standards, a 4G standard to provide increased mobile network capacity and speed.
In line with this and also in preparation for the upcoming IFA event in Berlin, Samsung has announced four new Galaxy smartphones namely, Galaxy W, Galaxy M Pro, Galaxy Y and Galaxy Y Pro. All these smartphones run on Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Each has its own distinct features and specs as well. The Samsung Galaxy W features a 3.7 inch touchscreen, 1.4GHz processor and HSDPA 14.4 Mbps connectivity. The Samsung Galaxy M Pro on the other hand sports a QWERTY keyboard, an optical track pad and touchscreen interface. The Samsung Galaxy Y is a compact handset with seamless multitasking capability and a 832MHz processor. It will come with SWYPE and will be available in various funky colors. Finally we have the Samsung Galaxy Y Pro, another QWERTY phone with touchscreen interface amongst other features.
No word yet on when these smartphones are going to come out. But if you want more details about them, watch out for news coming in from IFA in berlin next month.