Despite recent findings that suggests Carrier IQ keeps track of everything you do on your phone, carriers and manufacturers have been quick to either deny any association with Carrier IQ, or downplay what the software does. We know AT&T and Sprint use the service in addition to HTC and Samsung. We hadn’t heard T-Mobile’s T-Mobile’s side of the story from yesterday’s reports, but T-Mobile uses Carrier IQ as well. T-Mobile took to its support forums to inform customers what it uses Carrier IQ for.
Here is T-Mobile’s statement on Carrier IQ:
T-Mobile utilizes the Carrier IQ diagnostic tool to troubleshoot device and network performance with the goal of enhancing network reliability and our customers’ experience. T-Mobile does not use this diagnostic tool to obtain the content of text, email or voice messages, or the specific destinations of a customers’ Internet activity, nor is the tool used for marketing purposes.
What this basically means is Carrier IQ reports things such as dropped calls and poor connections to T-Mobile to help the carrier optimize its network.
Tmo News also got a hold of an internal memo directing T-Mobile employees on how to answer customer questions regarding Carrier IQ. We’ve picked out some important facts about how T-Mobile uses Carrier IQ below.
- CIQ won’t function if a phone is rooted and has a custom OS installed
- Data transmitted from CIQ doesn’t cost the customer anything
- The following devices support CIQ: (likely not a full list) BlackBerry 9900, BlackBerry 9360, BlackBerry 9810, HTC Amaze 4G, Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Exhibit II, LG myTouch, LG myTouch Q, LB Doubletake
- CIQ on BlackBerry is limited. “Application and data session metrics” aren’t available
- BlackBerry customers need to allow CIQ to collect and send data
- CIQ works out of the box on Android
- Windows Phone does not use CIQ
- T-Mobile business customers can opt-out of CIQ
- T-Mobile regular customers can’t opt-out of CIQ
- CIQ data is uploaded every 24 hours through Wi-Fi or data connection
- Data collected is encrypted