Roku has announced their latest software update, which is coming as version 4.2 build 1006 for the Roku 2 and Roku LT players. According to the details coming from the folks at Roku, the update is going to be rolled-out automatically over the next 48 hours. In other words, you can sit back with some patience and know that your update is coming and there is nothing you have to do. That being said, we suspect there will be some who feel they cannot wait. If that happens to be the case, fire up your Roku and navigate to Settings -> Software update -> Check now and prepare to update manually. With that, the update looks to be bringing quite a few goodies including improvements to Wi-Fi connectivity and improved mobile support which will be coming in the form of official iOS and Android remote apps. With that, you can read the full change log below;
- Support for more games – Added improvements to the 3D game experience on Roku 2. The first games to take advantages of these improvements—Downhill Bowling 2, Castle Warriors and Frisbee Forever—will be available in the Roku Channel Store shortly and are designed to work with the Game Remote.
- Mobile support – Added enhancements to support an official Roku iPhone app which will be in the iTunes App Store soon. Followed by Android for our non-iOS loving friends.
- MKV playback support – If you have a Roku 2 XS, you can use the USB Media Player channel to play MKV movie files from USB drives. Also, MP4 video playback has improved.
- Improved Wi-Fi performance – Added optimizations to enhance streaming quality and reliability over Wi-Fi in Roku 2 players.
- Improved Bluetooth remote battery performance – Prolonged the battery life of the Roku Game Remote when it is used in conjunction with Wi-Fi networking on the player.
- Improved audio performance – Fixed the cause of intermittent audio drop outs with some stereo receivers.
- Shop Roku Deals in the Roku Channel Store – Recently we added the ability to purchase Roku players within the Roku Channel Store; now you can bundle accessories with your purchase too, like a HDMI.
Via [Roku Blog]