Despite a very customizable platform there are some things that Android users cannot change. For one, they often have no control over the version of Android they are using as that is determined by the manufacturer and carrier. And well, for some that may mean being stuck with a device that is running Android 2.3 Gingerbread or below. But touching back on the very customizable platform comment and there is something Android users can do to help — tweak and adjust. And one of those ways can involve using an alternative launcher.
In this case, the launcher that we are referring to is Holo Launcher. The Holo Launcher app is available by way of Google Play and is available for free and will work with devices running Android 2.2 or later. Simply put, using the Holo Launcher will give you the look and feel of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
The Holo Launcher is described as being a “simple, powerful, fast and highly customizable home replacement, based on Android 4.0.4 ICS Launcher.” Perhaps more important here, the features. Holo Launcher for Android brings the following;
- Full ICS Style : ICS Icons, Folders, Outlines, Drawer Tabs, etc.
- Custom Desktop Pages/Grid: Up to 9 desktop pages and 10 x 10 grid.
- Custom Drawer Portrait/landscape Grid: Set different drawer grid for portrait and landscape screen.
- Scrollable Dock : Up to 7 icons per page and up to 3 pages.
- Infinite Scrolling: Loop through your desktop/drawer/dock continuously.
- Gestures : Swipe up/down on desktop to launch apps quickly.
- Customizable shortcut/folder icons: Long press to edit shortcut/folder icons and labels, support ADW icon pack.
- Desktop Previews: Pinch to access desktop previews.
- Backup and Restore: Backup and restore your settings and shortcuts.
- Other Customization Options: Keep in memory, home key action, hide apps in drawer, hide labels, etc.