We not only survived the (supposed) apocolypse, but we also made it past New Years. Welcome to 2013! I think we should celebrate with a brief list of 2013 video game predictions. You know, get ourselves ready and excited for what could be with mostly practical and occasional unfounded predictions for what is going to happen this year.
Though really, many of these 2013 video game predictions write themselves. We’re on the cusp of change here. The Wii U’s launch has signaled the all clear for new consoles and a number of major series have new installments in development or on their way.
Anyways, let’s get into what GamerTell thinks will happen in the world of video games in 2013.
- The next Xbox will be revealed at E3 2013. Even though Xbox 720 is the popular moniker for Durango, that won’t be the official name. It will be released in time for Christmas 2013, just like the Wii U. Like the Xbox 360, the initial batch of systems will have some kind of Red Ring of Death flaw.
- The PS4 will be revealed sometime in 2013. The PS4 will get its reveal in 2013, but at a special Sony event held after E3 2013. It won’t be released until the middle of 2014. It will only be backwards compatible with PS3 games.
- Final Fantasy Versus XIII is now Final Fantasy XV. Square Enix will make FF Versus XIII its own installment to cut ties with the now overblown FFXIII in an attempt to justify the incredibly long development process. It will appear on the PS3 and Xbox 360, but won’t be released until the end of 2014.
- Agni’s Philosophy will be a Durango/Orbis/Windows Final Fantasy installment. There are two things I’m convinced about after seeing the Agni’s Philosophy tech demo at E3 2012. The first is that it is a Final Fantasy game. The second is that we will see it on the next Xbox, PlayStation and probably on computers as well.
- A The Legend of Zelda Wii U game will be announced at E3 2013. The next Zelda installment will be revealed during Nintendo’s E3 2013 press conference. It will abandon motion controls, but will use the Wii U GamePad for inventory management. A brief demo will be playable on the show floor and the game will be released in time for Christmas 2013.
- Persona 5 will be announced and revealed as a PS3 and Vita game. Atlus will make a full Persona 5 reveal at the 2013 Tokyo Game Show. It will come out that the game will be multiplatform and available for the PS3 and Vita. Labrys from Persona 4 Arena will be a party member.
- inFamous will come to the Vita and set the stage for inFamous 3. Like Uncharted: Golden Abyss, inFamous will get a Vita spin-off game that ties into inFamous 3. It will bridge the gap between inFamous 2 and inFamous 3 and explain why Cole is still around.
- North America will get Pandora’s Tower. Some smaller publisher, like XSEED, will get permission to release Pandora’s Tower in North America. Project Rainfall members and new Wii U owners will rejoice.
- Capcom will revive and release Mega Man Legends 3. Due to the recent interest shown in Mega Man by fans, Capcom will reveal that it revived the Mega Man Legends 3 3DS project and in 2012 and hopes to have the game released by 2014.
- Seaman 3D will be unleashed. This one’s just for fun. Seaman 3D for the 3DS will get a full reveal in 2013. It will get released in Japan this year, but we won’t see it in North America due to issues with Sega until 2014. Instead, some smaller company like Atlus or XSEED will pick it up. Leonard Nimoy will return as the narrator.