Strategy smash XCOM: Enemy Unknown has received some free DLC. That’s the best kind, really. The Second Wave content adds a number of post campaign modifiers to toughen up your XCOM experience. You’ll be a veteran when you activate it, so you need the challenge, right?
XCOM: Enemy Unknown is the latest game in a series that goes back to 1994. It’s famous for a learning curve that can be downright punishing at times. You will see the aliens in your dreams, I promise you. Strategy lovers did backflips at the news that Firaxis was bringing it back for the current console generation.
As the commander of XCOM, it’s up to you to stave off an alien invasion. Your soldiers start out relatively weak and woefully underequipped. As you capture alien species and reverse engineer their weapons, your soldiers can become psionic supermen armed with plasma rifles and jetpacks. In addition to thinking out your attack strategy, you will need to play some politics. Funding comes from member nations in the XCOM council, who expect help in return. That could be anything from spare alien computer parts to repelling alien invasions. Unhappy nations will leave the council, taking their financing and support with them. If you lose eight countries, the game is over.
If you have any love of strategy, pick this game up right now and say goodbye to family and friends.
Here is the full list of changes in the Second Wave DLC:
- Damage Roulette: Weapons have a wider range of damage.
- New Economy: Randomized council member funding.
- Not Created Equally: Rookies will have random starting stats.
- Hidden Potential: As a soldier is promoted, stats increase randomly.
- Red Fog: Combat wounds will degrade the soldier’s mission stats.
- Absolutely Critical: A flanking shot guarantees a critical hit.
- The Greater Good: Psionics can only be learned from interrogating a psionic alien.
- Marathon: The game takes considerably longer to complete.
- Results Driven: A country offers less funding as its panic level increases.
- High Stakes: Random rewards for stopping alien abductions.
- Diminishing Returns: Increased cost of satellite construction.
- More Than Human: The psionic gift is extremely rare.
That’s a lot of stuff! I bet we’ll enjoy it.
Site [XCOM:Enemy Unknown]