Okay gamer girls, I know you’re out there. You’re a force to be reckoned with, especially on Valentine’s Day. You have high expectations and any man lucky enough to be with you should not only show their devotion with kind, loving gestures and precious moments spent together, but also with some pretty awesome gifts. I understand completely, because I’m one of you.
So, here’s what I’m going to do to help you out. It’s the big day today, Valentine’s Day. Even if your boyfriend is awesome, there’s still about a 15-30% chance that he either forgot the holiday or bought you Aliens: Colonial Marines. Don’t hold it against him if he did either. It happens. Instead, have him escort you to GameStop, Best Buy, Toys R Us or your favorite indie store and buy you one of the awesome games on this list. Once that’s done, all will be forgiven and the two of you can go about your lovey business. Maybe you’ll even play one of the following games together.
- Borderlands 2 (PS3, Xbox 360, Windows): His and hers copies of Borderlands 2 is ridiculously romantic. The two of you can spend the next 12 hours exploring Pandora together. It would be lovely.
- Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS): Yes, I know, I’ve recommended the hell out of this game already. Do you know why? It’s that good. Make him buy a copy for himself while he’s at it, so you can take part in the duel challenges together and recruit your characters into each others’ games.
- Lego The Lord of the Rings: The Video Game (PS3, Wii, Xbox 360, Windows): Getting this game could be the start of the best geeky game night ever. The two of you can play the game, then watch all three The Lord of the Rings movies together.
- Little Inferno (Wii U, Windows): Cuddle up together on the couch in front of a roaring fire… which the two of you started by burning weird objects and toys.
- New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U): If he buys you this modern classic, the two of you could spend a lovely evening together. Part of this gift should also include a promise from him that he won’t get mad if you steal his power-up, scare off his Yoshi or accidentally throw him off into an abyss/onto an enemy, because if he doesn’t make that promise, the evening may not turn out so lovely.
- Ni no Kuni (PS3): This gorgeous RPG is just what you need in your life. In fact, I wouldn’t blame you if you started playing the moment the love of your life gives it to you. Don’t worry – it can still be considered a Valentine’s Day activity! He can watch you while you play!
- Pandora’s Tower (Wii): This year, the little box every girl gamer opens shouldn’t have silly jewelry in it. It should have a Pandora’s Tower pre-order receipt. Now that’s real love.
- Persona 4 Golden (Vita): You own a Vita, but don’t own P4G yet? This is a wrong that must be righted immediately! Tell him to get on it, ASAP. As a reward, let him pick which girl(s) your avatar dates.
- Skylanders Giants (PS3, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360): You’ve always wanted to play, so now’s the perfect opportunity. Since it’s Valentine’s Day, he can’t roll his eyes about how silly it is to enjoy a game geared towards kids so much and he’ll have to play with you. Make sure he also buys you an extra giant, so Tree-Rex has a friend.
- Valve Complete Pack (Windows/Mac): If the man in your life cares about you enough to give you the big Valve Complete Pack, stuffed with 25 great games, he is a keeper. Also, you better have bought him something equally nice, like his own copy of the Valve Complete Pack.