It’s time for the PlayStation Network Gamers’ Choice Awards 2013 voting. When the PlayStation Store updates on February 19, 2013, people can cast votes for the games they “liked” the most. It’s a popularity contest, pure and simple. However, it’s a special kind of popularity contest and we all have to vote smart if we want to “win.”
People don’t vote for Gamers’ Choice Awards 2013 nominees they enjoyed the most. Perish the thought. No, they’re voting for the games they most want to buy. See, the Gamers’ Choice Awards is always accompanied by a big sale, in which the 10 category winners are reduced. The Gamers’ Choice Awards 2012 winners experienced a general 30% off price cut, while PlayStation Plus owners were able to pick up the 10 winners for 50% off. The same will be happening again this year.
Let’s go ahead and get into the ten categories and 30 nominees that PS3 and Vita owners will be able to vote for on the PlayStation Store tonight.
- Best PSN Exclusive: Journey (PS3), Tokyo Jungle (PS3), The Unfinished Swan (PS3)
- Best PSN Game: Journey (PS3), The Walking Dead (PS3), Sound Shapes (Cross Buy) (PS3, Vita)
- Best Indie Game: Journey (PS3), Sound Shapes (Cross Buy) (PS3, Vita), Rainbow Moon (PS3)
- Best PS3 Full Game: Assassin’s Creed III (PS3), Borderlands 2 (PS3), PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (PS3)
- Best PS Vita Game: Gravity Rush (Vita), Super Stardust Delta (Vita), Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (Vita)
- Best PSP Game: Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time (PSP), Ragnarok Tactics (PSP), Unchained Blades (PSP)
- Best Classic Game: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS3), Legend of Dragoon (PS3, PSP, Vita), Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (PS3)
- Best minis Game: Canabalt (PS3, PSP, Vita), Velocity (PS3, PSP, Vita), Wizorb (PS3, PSP, Vita)
- Best PlayStation Move Enabled Game: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (PS3), Tiger Woods: PGA Tour 13 (PS3), Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (PS3)
- Best Competitive Multiplayer Game: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (PS3), SkullGirls (PS3), Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 (PS3, Vita)
You have to be smart with your Gamers’ Choice Awards 2013 votes. Don’t vote for Journey for Best PSN Exclusive, Best PSN Game and Best Indie Game. Pick Journey for, say, Best Indie Game, then pick Tokyo Jungle for Best PSN Exclusive and The Walking Dead for Best PSN Game. The goal is to have the biggest and best sale possible on February 26, 2013.
So here’s a good way to have this all play out. The best pick for PSN Exclusive is Tokyo Jungle. It hasn’t really been discounted yet and it’s a fun game. Then, pick The Walking Dead for Best PSN Game, since that’s the only category in which it’s a candidate. For Best Indie Game, pick whichever you like best. Ideally, you’ll choose Journey, but Sound Shapes and Rainbow Moon are good too. The Best PS3 Full Game, Best PS Vita Game, Best PSP Game, Best Classic Game and Best minis Game categories aren’t really crucial. All games nominated range from “good” to “amazing” and would be great to pick up in a sale. I would suggest picking Gravity Rush in the Vita category though, since it’s the most expensive of the three and Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack goes on sale fairly often. I’d also recommend Legend of Dragoon for best classic game, since it’s playable on the PS3, PSP and Vita (provided Vita owners have a PS3 to do the transfer). We want this sale to be as inclusive as possible. For Best PlayStation Move Enabled Game and Best Competitive Multiplayer Game, be aware that Counter-Strike: Global Offensive comes up twice. It’s probably best to pick it for Best PlayStation Move Enabled Game so SkullGirls or Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 can take the Best Competitive Multiplayer Game.
Remember, the Gamers’ Choice Awards 2013 celebration isn’t about honoring games you love. It’s about working the system so you can get the games you always wanted, but missed grabbing, at a great price. Be smart when you vote between February 19-25, 2013 and make us proud!