We’re right in the midst of PAX Prime 2013, and it’s a good con for Vita owners and prospective PS4 owners. Well, it’s mainly Vita owners. That’s because this event has proven independent developers’ love for Sony. There was a plethora of game announcements from the indies, which is good news for us.
Here’s how we’ll kick this off. I’ll list the games that were announced at PAX Prime 2013. Then, I’ll give you a few more details about what each one is, so you know why you should be excited.
- Cosmic Star Heroine (Vita, PS4): This is a Zeboyd RPG about a heroine who is a spy, that has her cover blown. It was inspired by Phantasy Star and Chrono Trigger, which is exciting.
- Dustforce (Vita, PS4): This is an action game that’s all about chaining crazy combos with super heroic janitors that go through levels, cleaning up the place. It’s already available on PCs and is a lot better than it sounds.
- Octodad: Dadliest Catch (PS4): Not so much an announcement as an update, as it has been confirmed that Octodad will have PlayStation Move support.
- Road Not Taken (Vita, PS4): This game is a bit of a mystery, but it’s from the Triple Town creators, Spry Fox, and has the same look. Players go through this roguelike, exploring a forest.
- Samurai Gunn (Vita, PS4): This is a fighting game for between 2-4 players. Your character gets a sword and a gun with three bullets. The goal is to take out opponents, while deflecting their bullets with your sword.
- VVVVVV (Vita): In this incredibly difficult action game, players help Captain Viridian explore a huge ship and rescue his crew. The gimmick is, he doesn’t jump. Instead, players control gravity, flipping it to help him make his way through to safety.
Personally, I think Cosmic Star Heroine and Dustforce are the games to get most excited about. The former because Zeboyd is gradually becoming quite a force when it comes to preparing quality, retro-inspired, RPG experiences. The later is because I really loved playing Dustforce after getting it in a Humble Indie Bundle, and I’d really like the chance to play it on the go on my Vita. I think the PS4 and Vita announcements of these two games at PAX Prime 2013 were probably the best news of the show.
Look forward to playing most of these games in 2014. Unfortunately, it seems like that’s how long we’ll have to wait for the majority of them.