After the silliness subsided we were treated with several titles and features I’m sure Wii U owners will be happy about.
Mii’s in Wii U Super Smash Brothers kicked off the event. It will allow players create themselves and create likenesses of other people. The hope in this customization is that gamers will stop pestering developers with requests to put people into games (no it won’t). Nintendo gave Mii Elijah Wood as an example. You can customize the Mii with three classes (Brawler, Swordfighter, and Gunner). You’ll also get to choose 3 special moves to compete against the likes of Mario and friends.
Super Smash Bros. will also be the first game to support the Amiibo feature, which is a toy system much like Skylanders and Disney Infinity. You can purchase toys and put them on the Wii gamepad to activate them in Super Smash Bros. This feature will also be coming over to Mario Kart. There’s no word on how many characters will come with the game and how many you’ll need to purchase separately. Super Smash Bros. Wii U is due out Holiday 2014 with the 3DS version coming October 3rd.
Other game announcements included…
- Yoshi’s Wooly World a side-scrolling with depth (think Little Big Planet) and a textured, handmade look and feel.
- Captain Toad Treasure Tracker a 3D adventure coming Holiday 2014
- Zelda goes open world, where players get to explore a wide area early in the game, rather than wait to unlock walled-off sections. Set for release 2015
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Sapphire coming November 21st, 2014.
- Bayonetta 2 with Bayonetta as a bonus
- Hyrule Warriors a Dynasty Warriors-ish game with Zelda characters. Play as your favorite in single player or co-op on one shared screen. Coming September 26th, 2014.
- Kirby and the Rainbow Curse coming 2015.
- Xenoblade Chronicles mech fighters coming your way 2015.
- Mario Maker create and modify levels in old-school bit fashion or 3D graphics style. Coming 2015.
- Splatoon a 3D multiplayer 4v4 online game where squid-people compete to splatter the most ink on a map. Morphing into a person allows you to paint and squids have the ability to swim and hide in your own ink. Coming 2015.