Just got back from an advance screening of the simply titled Star Trek film and while I cannot yet post a full review, I can let you in on a bullet point list of some of what you can expect (with minimal spoilers).
- At least one planet is destroyed in the story.
- Spock gets into at least two fights.
- So does Kirk.
- Uhura smootches a senior crew member. And means it.
- Number of scantily-clad green girls: 1
- Number of awkwardly ingested slug-like creatures: 1
- Number of shout outs: 1
- Number of Bones-erisms: Countless
- There is an element of time travel.
- At least one red shirt bites it (BTW: Have you read the most recent issue of Geek Monthly Magazine? There’s a great article about this very subject).
- Stafleet regulations? We don’t need no stinkin’ regulations.
- Wait, who’s in command here?
- Warp speed? More like a super fast slip stream.
- Are those bugs in the transporters?
- A crew member may or may not meet himself. No goatees involved.
- Holy Russian accent.
- Holy lens glares.
- Fencing? Oh, “fencing!”
- Uber short skirts. Everywhere. All the time.
And now for a bit of “Spot The…” This movie has many super subtle and less-than subtle references to elements of the Star Trek franchise as well as other films. So, for those who like to play along (and I certainly forgot many already since I’ve only seen the film once) see if you can:
- Spot the Logan’s Run moment.
- Spot the Darth Vader sound effect.
- Spot the Star Wars set element(s).
- Spot the Yoda fight move.
- Spot the alcohol product placement.
- Spot the nods to specific Star Trek (the original series) episodes. Multiple answers acceptable.
- Spot the nods to specific Star Trek movies. Multiple answers acceptable.
- Spot the Star Trek franchise-alikes (or crewmember couldbes).
- Spot the a-little-too-close-to-a Matrix character’s name.
- Spot the nod to Jaws (or Airplane, or Batman or…)
- Spot the revamped Star Trek cliche (pick your favorite but mine involves the aforementioned “shout out”).
- Spot the not-so-hidden – and rather appropriate – Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy nod.
- Spot the ironic Star Trek movie moment involving Scotty.
- Spot the lines from other Star Trek movies. Multiple answers acceptable.
Please, add your own below. There are so, so many things to spot.
Look for a full review in the next few days.
Site [Star Trek Movie]