The Wii is mainly known for its family friendly games, but the system has slowly been building up a small library of games that aren’t all-ages fare. There aren’t too many games with a “Mature” rating, or that fall into the horror, thriller and suspense genres, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any available for the system.
And no, I’m not referring to the plethora of Resident Evil games that have found a home on the Wii. There are other chilling games available for the system, if you take the time to look. Gamertell did, and has come up with five appropriate games if you have a Wii and want to be scared.
- Calling: Hudson’s horror game hasn’t been released yet, but this adventure horror game shows some promise. We’ll have to check and see just how good it is when its March 9, 2010 release date arrives.
- Fatal Frame IV: It’s a Japan exclusive, but if you download the fan translation patch, you can play the Japanese game on any Wii. And, like all other entries in the Fatal Frame series, it is suitably scary. And, if you have a spare $70 lying around, you can import it!
- LIT: This WiiWare puzzle game isn’t too terrifying, but the ambiance is great and there are a few cheap scares in terms of sudden boss attacks. LIT is a horror game that makes you think if you want to survive.
- Ju-on: The Grudge: Okay, maybe this isn’t the best example. After all, Ju-on: The Grudge was really more unspeakably horrible and frustrating than scary. But it is supposed to be scary, so let’s give it points for effort.
- Silent Hill: Shattered Memories: Again, not too scary but Silent Hill: Shattered Memories creates a great mood with its spooky atmosphere. It’s really more of a psychological thriller this time around, rather than a solid horror game like previous entries.
So if you have a Wii and love horror games, don’t lose hope! There are scary games being released for the system, and if people continue to buy them, perhaps it will encourage developers and publishers to create and release more!